The Smartest Girl in my Grade #CarRide (and perfection of Ben Barnes)

^^Ben Barnes because he is pure beauty^^ 

Another challenge! Tagged by the wonderful AvaLevesque go check out her story! 

Check out Potterhead0619 as well! 

THE CHALLENGE: Write a story about a ride in the car, most of it has to be in the car, but it can be about anything with any characters. 

1st August 2012

Jaen Austrig is in my car, the smartest girl, and possibly student, in my whole grade. She is sitting next to me, our knees and forearms slightly touching. She is talking to my younger brother who is in front of her in the front seat about the Olympics. Her dark hair is catching the light of the sun. My little sister is on the other side of me, singing to herself in her car seat.

I don't know how Jaen managed to be sitting next to me on my way home from school. It just happened. I texted my mum to find out how I was coming home, and it turned out that Jaen was driving home with us because her family was coming round to ours for a barbecue dinner. Funny thing was that my dad and Jaen's met on a business trip and now here we are, what a convenience. Squished together in our tiny car knees and forearms slightly touching.

"So how was school, you two?" mum asks Jaen and I, looking in the rear-view mirror, "and I want more than just 'good'."

"It was goodish," I answer, smirking slightly.

Mum frowns.

"The test was pretty hard," Jaen says, "only a few of us finished it."

"The science one?" my brother, Daniel, asks.

"Yeah, that one, on light properties," she replies, smiling.

"Patrick has been going on about it all the time at the dinner table," Daniel sniggers, "wavelength this, prism this, oh... and that's how we get a rainbow!"

Daniel turned back to look at me and stuck his tongue out. I rolled my eyes. Jaen banged my knee jokingly. I felt slightly jittery.

"Well it's good revision to explain things to people," Jaen smiles, "I bet you got a great mark."

"I hope," I whisper.

"I bet your teacher hasn't marked it yet," mum remarks, and Jaen nods, pushing a stray strand of her wavy black hair behind her ear.

Jaen is half-Indian, even though she is named after a city in Spain. Her older sister Fayth says that Jaen got the perfect mix of white and brown skin, whereas she was stuck with brown, and wishes she looked more like Jaen.

Jaen says that she wishes she had Fayth's skin colour, because she is sick of being asked if she is South-Asian or not. Very sick of it, so much so that she will kick whoever asks her that in the shin and walk off angrily, leaving that person quite confused. I speak from experience. The bruise is still prominent and hasn't faded for months. It's going greenish now. My little sister, Callie, says I look a bit like a zombie.

Jaen is pretty. I guess for a boy to say 'pretty' is kind of weird. But I know the difference between 'pretty', 'hot', 'cute', 'beautiful' and 'a bomber'. Jaen is pretty because when she smiles her whole face lights up and dimples show. She's pretty because her eyes are very dark, but when she laughs they seem to shine and twinkle.

Callie is singing way too loud, nobody wants to hear 'Blank Space' that loud a semitone off. Mum is telling her to quiet down, and Jaen is wincing a bit. Daniel is laughing. He always laughs.