Chapter One

Disclaimer: I do not own Psycho, or any of the characters from Psycho. This story is completely fiction, and I do apologize if anything I write is sensitive or triggering to anyone.

"Are you ready?" My new boss, Mr. James, asks. I nervously nod, smoothing out my dress and following him into his office.

Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Jolene Peterson, and I just got a new job at Fairvale Mental Institution. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to be right out of medical school and land a job, but I'm just so nervous. How are these patients gonna react to me? Will I do good?

I try to clear my mind of these questions as I sit in the chair across from Mr. James. He slides me a clipboard with several papers and a pen. 'State of California Liability Form', the first paper says across the top in big, bold letters. My eyes widen and Mr. James laughs as he leans back in his chair, "Don't worry! Stuff hardly ever happens. That's just in case you happen to be on of the unlucky souls."

Nodding, I sign my name on the blank spaces and hand him the clipboard. He signs where he needs to and stands up, walking over to a filing cabinet and placing the papers in a manila folder.

After he closes it he motions for me to follow him. We leave the office and he leads me to the receptionist desk. "Pattie if you don't mind, would you get Ms. Peterson started? I've got a meeting to get to." He says. The receptionist, who I assume is named Pattie, nods and grabs a folder. "Good luck." Mr. James says, placing a firm hand on my shoulder before turning and heading toward the front door of the building.

"So you're our new nurse?" Pattie asks, flipping through a few papers. "Yes, I'm Jolene Peterson." I smile. She returns my smile and hands me two papers. "This is your reference sheet of which patients are in each room, and this is the paper of medicines and other things they need." I nod "And here is your day to day schedule for the week. You'll see five patients a day, and you'll see them each three times before you leave at the start, middle, and end of your day." She smiles. I nod again, soaking in all of the information and squinting at the schedule. "Here, let me help you." She says, standing up and turning my schedule to where she can see it. "Your first patient is room 24, which is.." she runs her long fingernail down the page "Norman Bates. So that's where you'll be starting." She smiles. "Thank you, I guess I'll go read up on my patients and then get started." I return her smile. I gather up all of the papers and turn on my heel, headed to the file room.

After reading up on my patients I become more nervous. Especially after reading about my first one, Norman Bates. If someone can kill their own mother, they will kill anyone! That's why he's here though..to get help to no longer do things like that. Everyone deserves a second chance.

I take a deep breath as I raise my hand to his door, gently knocking and turning the knob. "Mr. Bates? Are you up for company?" I smile, stepping into the room. He is sitting on the bed rubbing his eyes. His hair is a little messy and I assume he has just woken up. "I'm your new nurse. My name is Jolene Peterson, but you can just call me Jolene." I smile. He looks up and slightly furrows his eyebrows. "H-hi, I'm Norman Bates." He says as he stands up, extending his hand. "How are you doing today?" I ask, writing a few things down on his chart. "I'm fine." He sits back on his bed. "Well, I have your medicine for you." I say, handing him the clear cup of medicine, and the cup of water. He sighs gently before throwing the pills in his mouth and washing them down. I take the cups from him and write a few more things on his chart. "Breakfast is here shortly if you want to go on to the cafeteria. I have to finish my rounds, but I will see you in a few hours. Have a nice morning, Mr. Bates." He nods quickly and I smile, propping the door open with my foot so I can roll the medicine cart out.

*Normans POV*

My heart is racing. She was very beautiful, and so kind. I can't even remember the last time someone has told me to have a nice morning, or day..or night. Let me rephrase that, I can't even remember the last time someone treated me like I was an actual human. I've been in this institution for a little over a year and all of my past nurses would come in, harshly tell me to take my medicine, and leave.

She actually made small talk with me, although I could tell she was nervous. 'You shouldn't think such thinks about a dirty young girl, Boy!' I hear the shrill voice that is all too familiar. 'Why would she like you when you're living in a madhouse?' Mother is right. She is probably only nice to me because she is afraid of me. She thinks I'm a monster. I try to shake the thoughts from my head as I make up my bed and head down to the cafeteria.