Chapter 7

Optimus' POV

Ratchet turned to me, waiting for my permission to answer it. I glanced at Amanda. She was quiet.

I nodded toward Ratchet. He hit a button on his keyboard and the message popped up. I read it silently.

Why hello, Autobots. Are you aware that you have all of your little human pets? Well, think again. I have this little fleshling here with me. I will gladly give her back-in exchange for energon.

I stared blankly at the screen. So Arachnid did take Grace. I was the first one to read it, and I watched my team as they became more aware that this was bad. If Arachnid killed Grace, she may find out the weakest spots to hurt a human. Well, not on my watch.

"What does it say?" Amanda asked quietly. My team glanced at me. Slowly, I said, "Amanda, Arachnid has captured Grace in exchange of energon." Amanda was shocked, then, much to my surprise, she turned to anger.

"Why does Arachnid want energon? And why, out of the whole world, did she take my sister?" Amanda asked, her cheeks red. I shook my head. "Energon is becoming hard to find now. Arachnid was probably looking for some, and if she takes a defenseless girl in exchange for some, she must be pretty desperate," I said. Ratchet was deep in thinking.

"How much energon does she want?" Amanda asked. I thought to myself before saying, "Maybe just a servo-full. We can't spare much." Ratchet nodded in agreement to what I said. I turned to him. "What time does she want us to deliver the energon?" Ratchet just shrugged. I sighed, then pulled myself together. I was a leader, for the Allspark's sake! I could do this!

"We'll take a small load of energon to her tomorrow morning," I said firmly. "Grace can hold off until then." "But what if she doesn't?" I heard Amanda ask herself. I was thinking the same thing, but I will not let Grace die.

"Ratchet, ground-bridge the others back to their homes," I said. Ratchet silently pushed the lever down, and the familiar green glow filled the base with its color. Raf was first. He said good-bye to Bumblebee and nodded toward us before disappearing inside the ground-bridge.

When Jack and Miko arrived safely at their houses, the rest of my team broke up. Bumblebee, Arcee, and Bulkhead headed toward their berth rooms to power down for night. I wanted to see to it that Amanda was comfortable for the rest of the night. I walked over to her.

"Anything you need?" I asked. She shook her head. I walked away, hearing her murmur, "I just want Grace back." I wished I could go get Grace, but it was getting late and it wasn't wise to approach an enemy in the dark. Arachnid could ambush her enemy like that.

I headed to my berth room. I needed to power down. I glanced over my shoulder-plate to Amanda and Ratchet. I already knew Ratchet stayed up late working. Amanda was arranging her belongings neatly, but not spreading them out. She moved her bag closer to the couch, and a blanket was spread out over the cushions with a pillow propped up against the arm. At least she seemed comfortable.

But as I headed to my berth room, I couldn't help thinking what Arachnid had already done to Grace.

~In the Morning~

Amanda's POV

I didn't sleep much that night. All that was on my mind was Grace. Was she ok? Was she hurt? Was she scared? I finally closed my eyes around 12:30ish. I woke up to someone poking me.

"Hey, sleepy-head!" A playful voice chirped. I opened my eyes to see a female face close to my face. "Ahh!" Startled, I quickly sat up. Miko giggled. "Oops! Didn't mean to wake ya!" She grinned mischievously. I rubbed my eyes and yawned.

"When did you arrive here so quickly?" I asked between yawns. Miko cocked her head. "You literally slept though all of that?" She asked. My eyes widened. Did Optimus leave to find Grace? Not without me! I scrambled off the couch and relaxed when I saw the Autobot leader talking to Ratchet.

"I guess I did," I replied to Miko. She smiled. "Well, how was your sleep-over?" She asked me. I shrugged. "Didn't do much, just...slept," I said. Miko rolled her eyes. "That's wonderful," she said, laughing. I joined her, then cut off my laughing early and walked over to Optimus and Ratchet.

I passed Jack and Raf on the way. I must've really slept in if I missed Miko entering base. She was the loudest of us all. And the most annoying.

As I approached Optimus and Ratchet, I caught bits of their conversation. I wasn't surprised that they were working out a plan.

"Hey, Optimus. Ratchet," I said, trying to sound upbeat. My greeting didn't work. And only Optimus returned my greeting with just a nod of his head. Ratchet did nothing.

"So, uh, what's the plan?" I asked. I hopped up onto the railing, then steadied myself so I wouldn't fall off. Optimus flashed me a wary glance. I shot him a determined one back. I won't fall off.

"Well, for one thing, you're not going with Optimus," Ratchet snapped. "I don't want to have to find another missing human ally." My heart sank. "But-" I started to protest but Ratchet cut me off with a wave of his hand. "Don't even try arguing," he growled. "You're staying here for your own safety." I sighed. He was sight. It was pointless to argue when Grace's life was at stake.

I turned to Optimus. Maybe he would let me go with him. He caught my eye and shook his helm. I lowered my gaze to the floor. So not even my guardian wouldn't let me go with him to rescue my captive sister. Ouch.

I perked up. "Please!" I begged before I could stop myself. "This is my sister we're saving here! I have every right to go help save her!" Ratchet growled. "I said no! And you have every right to stay here, as well." With a wave of his hand, he shooed me back to the human area. I sighed.

Miko was watching Jack and Raf play video games. Bumblebee watched from behind them. I sat down next to Miko on the couch. She glanced at me. I shook my head.

"Aww, better luck next time," Miko said to me. Then she grinned that mischievous grin of hers. Uh oh. Something told me that Miko had thought of another one of her plans.

"Of course, you could always sneak out!" Miko beamed. I just gaped. Sneak out? Miko was out of her mind on that one!

"No way! Optimus will kill me!" I protested. "And besides, I'll get caught too easily. Ratchet has control of the ground-bridge."

Miko sighed, then returned that smile of hers. "I can help you sneak out," she offered. "I mean, I seen Ratchet operate the ground-bridge millions of times before! All you have to do is just push that lever down."

I shook my head. "Too risky," I said. Miko was silent, thinking of another plan, I could tell. Finally, she shrugged. "I can distract the Autobots while Optimus is leaving. Then, when they're not facing the ground-bridge, run in behind Optimus, then-BAM! You're on your first mission!" Miko beamed, happy with that plan.

I opened my mouth to tell her all the reasons about how wrong that sounded, then closed it again. It was just the right plan. And no one would notice. Besides, Optimus may need help. By what I picked up, he wasn't going to give Arachnid any energon. He was just going to trick her, distract her, whatever. I was still confused by that.

I hesitated, Miko waiting. Finally, I nodded my head. "The plan is accepted," I said. But deep down, I wondered if I was putting myself at risk for doing this.