Chapter 9

Amanda's POV

I paused, staring into Ratchet's optics. I swallowed. "Wh-what is it?" I asked, my mouth feeling dry. Ratchet gazed at me. "Have your symbols came back to you ever since we talked?" Ratchet finally asked. I glanced at Optimus.  A worried expression was on his face. I shook my head. "Not that I recall, no," I replied. I began to panic. "Are my symbols gone forever?" I asked. They couldn't be! I was born with this gift!

Ratchet and Optimus exchange worried glances with each other. Ratchet turned back to me. "Stand still," he ordered. I stiffened as Ratchet scanned me. He turned back to his computer and typed something. Then he hesitated. For too long. "Ratchet?" I asked. "Will they...disappear forever?" He avoided my eyes.

I felt my throat tighten, and for real this time, tears poured out of my eyes. "They're...they're gone," I whispered. Ratchet and Optimus fell silent. I wanted to sob. I wanted to cry harder. And I wanted my symbols back!

"We can't be sure of that," Ratchet said slowly. I swallowed back a wail. "They're gone," I repeated. Optimus laid a digit on my shoulder. "Maybe they're not," he said softly. I tried to avoid his gaze, but he lowered his helm down to meet my eyes. "Amanda," he said firmly. I looked up at him. "Your symbols will come back," Optimus said determinedly. Tears flooded my vision. I sobbed. "How do you know?" I asked, shrugging his digit off my shoulder. Optimus sighed.

"I know for sure," he said. "Ever since I met you in the forest, I knew you were unusual. Different, but in a good way. I'm sure they will come back to you." Even though I knew he was trying to cheer me up, more tears streamed down my face. Ratchet watched quietly. "Optimus," he finally said. "Leave her to digest this. She's in shock." Optimus raised himself to his full height.

"She's my charge," he said sternly. "Ratchet, I want to know if something is wrong with her." Ratchet shook his head sadly. "I'll try my best to help her, but something tells me that she needs to recover by herself. Not by a medic." Ratchet glanced at me. I tried to wipe my tears away, but they just kept coming and coming. As much as I wanted to stay here at base, surrounded by my friends, I felt embarrassed to be crying. I wanted to go home. I looked up at Ratchet. "Can you ground-bridge me back to my home?" I asked so softly I could barely hear my self. Ratchet shook his head. "Let Optimus drive you," he said. "I'm working on the ground-bridge for a little bit." I nodded.

I walked back to the human area, dragging my feet. I heard laughter from my friends. I glanced up. Grace and Miko were racing each other in their video game, while Jack and Raf watched. There came a loud crash from the TV. "Yes!" Grace shot out of her seat and did a victory dance. Jack grinned. "Beaten by a six year old," he teased. Miko laughed and passed him her remote. "You try beating her!" She challenged him. Jack shrugged and switched spots with Miko.

My blanket and pillow was neatly folded and placed in my bag. I wiped more tears away and walked near them. But I guess you could've still tell I was crying, because everyone looked up at me. Miko's mouth dropped open. "Amanda! What's wrong?" She asked, jumping off the couch and walking over to me. I shrugged and wiped away more tears. "I don't want to talk about it," I muttered. I brushed past her and grabbed my bag. Miko looked surprised. She was about to open her mouth when Jack came over and rested his hand on her shoulder. "Don't press her," he murmured in her ear. Miko just shook her head sadly.

I slung my bag over my shoulder and walked down the stairs toward Optimus. He was waiting patiently. When he saw me, he transformed into his semi truck form and opened his passenger door. I climbed in and arranged my stuff on my feet so I won't have to set it in my lap. More tears poured out of my eyes.

As Optimus pulled away, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Miko standing near Ratchet. She looked hurt, and her eyes were fixed sadly on me. Ratchet watched me, too. And as Optimus drove, I pulled my legs close to my chest. I didn't care that I didn't even had my seat belt on. I just wanted to cry. I buried my face in my hands and sobbed. Optimus remain quiet the entire ride.

Miko's POV

I watched as Optimus and Amanda left base. I had seen some pretty harsh stuff, but Amanda crying broke my heart. What was wrong with her? She saved Grace's life! Shouldn't she be happy, and relieved? But no. She was crying. But why?

I glanced at Ratchet and crossed my arms. I'm going to guess. Ratchet gave Amanda a good scowling. I glared at him until he turned his helm to me. "What?" He asked when he saw my expression. I just glared at him harder. Ratchet looked at me, confused.

"You had too, you just had too?" I asked, furious. "What are you talking about-" Ratchet started to ask but I cut him off. "You know what I'm talking about!" I yelled at him. Ratchet was still confused, but then he grew angry. "Actually, I don't," he spat, crossing his arms. "So why don't you tell me?" If he wasn't so big, I would've slapped him.

"Amanda!" I yelled at him again. "You made her cry!" Ratchet was silent, staring at me with a perplexed expression on his faceplate. The anger boiled inside me. Ratchet wasn't getting a hint, was he?

"No I didn't," Ratchet finally said, slowly. I gritted my teeth. He glanced at me. "Then why was she crying?" I snapped, crossing my arms. Ratchet uncrossed his arms and shrugged. "Honest, I don't know," he replied. "She just...she's worried," he added reluctantly. "Worried about what?" I soften my attitude. Ratchet hesitated.

"You know about Amanda's gift, right?" He asked me. It took me a minute to realize what he asked me. Oh. Her gift. Her symbols. I nodded. "Well...she might lose that gift," he said. Shocked, I stared at him. "How?" I finally sputtered. Ratchet narrowed his optics. I lowered my head. I think I took it too far. "Go play with your friends," Ratchet muttered, turning back to his computer. "It's too confusing for you." I opened my mouth, then closed it. He was probably right. I wasn't a medic like him.

I sighed and headed back to my friends. I plopped on the couch next to Jack. He glanced at me, confused and surprised. I shrugged, not wanting to talk either. I just wanted to think. What day was it? All I knew was that we were off today because the teachers have a meeting. But tomorrow we're going to school. And the next day...so today was Wednesday. Tomorrow was Thursday. I'll try to track down Amanda at school. Hey, what can I say? She was my best friend, like Jack and Raf. She was in shock. And she was sad. So why couldn't I help her?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry for the short chapter -.-* I didn't know what else to write. Anyways, I hoped you enjoyed it even though it wasn't as good :-:

~Buddymykitty