1.16 | here the whole time

For the past three weeks, Mason and Charlotte had been getting along better. At least, they were from what Charlotte could tell. Whatever the reason was that he'd been avoiding her, he was clearly over it.

Devin and Ash were ridiculous. He'd clearly just been busy. His absence had nothing to do with liking her.

They'd been hanging out more outside of work too, mostly due to Ash and Devin's interference. Group outings at lunch were becoming more and more common these days, which Charlotte was fine with, or would be if the weather were warmer.

Today, Devin had dragged them to the Pizza Parlor, one of Charlotte's least favorite places to eat. It was pizza, which was fine, but it was also messy. The vinyl booths were cracked and sticky and the tables were usually covered with writing or stickers. The pizza was good though, so Charlotte had to give them points for that.

They were seated in a corner booth, one of those circular ones where everyone could see each other, with Devin and Mason on one side and Charlotte and Ash on the other.

For the past fifteen minutes Devin and Mason had been debating the pros and cons of pineapple on pizza.

"All I'm saying is that it's different from just a plain cheese-and-meat creation," Mason was arguing.

"It's unnatural."

"You're unnatural, but we keep you around," Ash joked. Devin poked her tongue out at her.

"Someone has to agree with me," Mason said desperately. "Charlotte?"

"I love pineapple," she said, "in a bowl."

"You wound me," Mason said, and then he smacked hand to his forehead and groaned. "I'm outnumbered, both in gender and in opinion."

Charlotte rolled her eyes. "It's not our fault that you like weird pizza toppings."

Mason grumbled but didn't try to argue back, instead grabbing his menu and ducking behind it. Devin wiggled her eyebrows in Charlotte's direction when she noticed her staring, and Charlotte blushed before hiding behind her own sticky menu.

Lunch went by without incident. Mason got along well with her friends, something that Charlotte was grateful for. There was nothing worse than introducing a new person to your friend group and having them hate each other.

They made their way back to the shop and the rest of the day passed calmly and slowly. It was one of the rare days where Ian didn't make an unwanted appearance, so Charlotte was able to breath easily.

Once they'd closed for the night, Devin and Ash followed Mason out the door while Charlotte watched curiously.

"Mason offered to drive us home," Devin explained. "Max is stuck at work, and he was supposed to drive us both."

Trying her best not to feel left out, Charlotte smiled. "I'll see you guys tomorrow then?"

Her friends waved as they climbed into Mason's truck.

And then Charlotte was alone, and, for the first time since her mom left, Charlotte wished she weren't.

***

Mason had an ulterior motive for driving the girls home, and he tried not to feel bad when he saw Charlotte's face fall a bit as they drove away.

Devin directed him to her house, and Mason drove in silence, trying to figure out a way to broach the subject without it becoming awkward.

How exactly was he supposed to ask Charlotte's friends if dating her would be a good idea?

Luckily for Mason, Devin already had a game plan that was ready to launch.