2.3 | on my mind

Present Day

The sound of Devin's laughter was making Charlotte's headache worse, but her irritation was overwhelmed by her joy of seeing her friends again.

Ash and Devin were sprawled across the couch in Charlotte's living room, and Charlotte was sitting cross legged on the floor, a blanket spread over her lap. The three of them were playing a drinking game, and by the glazed over expression in Devin's eyes, she was losing. Or winning, depending on who you asked.

They'd spent the better part of the day cleaning the shop to prepare it for its grand reopening the next week. Ash had been running the store while Charlotte was in New York, but they'd had to close it a few months ago when she decided to go back to school for her masters. Another reason that Charlotte had come back. The shop was still her dream, no matter what had happened in the past.

Not that she was thinking about the past.

Things in New York hadn't been great either. Charlotte hadn't been able to open a shop like she'd wanted. She just didn't have the passion for baking required for the big apple. Her spark was gone. So she was back in a town that she'd semi-sworn not to come back too. It was worth it though, to open Poppy's again.

Charlotte had been on the phone for most of the day, reconnecting power and water, and making sure everything was up to code. She needed to go shopping tomorrow – which she was not thrilled about. Purchasing ingredients wasn't hard, but the quantity that she needed was overwhelming.

After they'd cleaned most of the store, Charlotte had suggested dinner. Which, to Devin, apparently meant getting drunk on a Tuesday.

Not that they had any place to be the next day, besides more cleaning.

Charlotte enjoyed being her own boss for precisely that reason.

"Is it weird?" Devin asked, stumbling over her words.

"Is what weird?" Charlotte asked.

"Being back. It's gotta be hard, seeing everything again after, well, everything."

Charlotte didn't miss the sharp look that Ash gave their friend, but she didn't mind the questions. She was used to Devin's blunt way of speaking and while she didn't want to talk about him in any way, she didn't mind exploring her current feelings.

"It is," she said slowly. "But it's also nice."

Even Ash raised an eyebrow at that.

"Nice." She said. "Interesting way to describe it."

"Well I'm not overjoyed to be back here and be reminded of everything, but it isn't as terrible as I thought it would be. I have you guys, Poppy's, my own place. I'm rebuilding."

"Rebuilding." Ash said slowly.

"And moving on." Charlotte said firmly. Because she was. She'd meant it when she left to go to New York. She was going to start over, she was going to rebuild her business, and she wasn't going to get distracted this time.

The three lapsed into a comfortable silence that came from being friends for a long time. Devin leaned her head against the back of the couch and Ash trailed her fingers over Devin's foot, giggling when she kicked her away.

Charlotte smiled to herself. Everything had changed, but at least she could count on her friends to stay the same.

"You know, I saw Ian today." Ash said suddenly. Devin sat up.

"No way. I didn't think he was back yet."

"Back?" Charlotte questioned.

"He went on a continent cruise or something, I forget what he called it."