1.23 | need you like cake

In the weeks that followed their meet-the-parents dinner, Charlotte and Mason existed within a bubble of happiness, and on the morning of February fourteenth, she woke to a surprise.

Her morning started with flowers.

Charlotte had rolled over in her bed on the morning of her birthday to a room full of flowers – daisies, of course – and a small card with her name on it.

In all the time that they'd been dating, Mason had never failed to bring daisies to a date, and Charlotte had come to appreciate the flower even more than before.

Birthdays had always been one of Charlotte's least favorite things.

Most of her negativity had to do with her mother. Eileen had always made such a big deal about birthdays. Pulling her out of school, cake for all three meals, and balloons, candy, and presents in abundance.

After she'd left, Charlotte didn't have the heart to celebrate anymore.

After the flowers, which, according to text, Devin had apparently placed in her room on Mason's request, Charlotte had made her way to the kitchen, only to discover a mug of coffee and a scone sitting on the counter next to another card with her name on it. Both were still warm, so it couldn't have been long since they'd been left there.

Charlotte picked up the scone and took a bite, savoring the blueberry flavor before opening the card. Mason's blocky handwriting filled the inside, and Charlotte felt the corners of her lips turn up as she read it.

"Charlotte,

Happy birthday, love. While this isn't your favourite thing to celebrate, I hope that you'll go              along with what I've got planned. I've taken care of the shop, Devin and Ash will hold down the           fort, so you don't need to worry about that. All you need to do is follow the instructions and I        promise you'll have some semblance of a good day.

Get dressed (don't forget your scarf, it's fairly windy outside) and go ahead and head towards               Evie's. There'll be more instructions for you there.

I'll see you soon.

x Mason"

Charlotte rolled her eyes at the cheesiness of it all. Mason would never stop surprising her. Nevertheless, Charlotte slipped back into her room to get dressed before heading outside.

*

Evie's was as busy as ever when Charlotte pulled into a spot, having narrowly avoided running into a pile of snow that had somehow managed not to melt yet.

Evie herself was standing behind the counter when Charlotte made her way inside, her gray hair done up in a messy bun with a pen shoved through the center, and her eyes lit up when she saw Charlotte.

"Charlie!" She called, serving a plate of pancakes to a little girl kicking her legs against the metal counter edges. "I was wondering when you'd show up. That boy of yours has been all over town today."

"So I'm learning," Charlotte responded, slipping onto a barstool. "What do you have for me?"

Evie winked and slid a plate of sausage out from under a warmer, passing it to Charlotte.

"Your instructions are to eat breakfast and then flip your plate over."

"Can't I just have my next clue first?" Charlotte protested.

"Nope!" Evie said cheerfully, already turning away. "I've got strict instructions and I'm stickin' to them."

               Charlotte groaned but picked up her fork.