joshs note

it was a quiet thursday morning.

the kind where momma dun would usually wake up and empty the dishwasher, take josh to school, and maybe walk the dog.

but josh wasn't here.

and neither was bill.

sitting up slowly, laura stepped out of bed and into her slippers. she shuffled downstairs.

the doorbell rang, and reluctantly, she turned the gold knob and opened the red door, only to see tyler joseph standing on her front step.

"oh!" she said, a bit surprised. where was josh? "hello tyler. come in." she opened the door further and tyler stepped in.

the poor boy was shaking as he clutched onto a note in his left hand. his other hand was in his mouth, fingernails aggressively being bitten off. laura gasped when she saw his cuticles were covered in blood from nervous gnawing. she grabbed tylers hand away from his mouth, and tyler burst into tears.

"oh darling." she stroked tylers soft hair as he cried into her bathrobe. "what's wrong?"

speechless, tyler handed laura the note.

dear tyler,

relationships die.

they all do. one way or another. sometimes people break up and sometimes they don't but eventually, relationships die.

ours will too.

and i don't want you to suffer through that.

so i'm leaving you.

love,

josh.

laura covered her mouth silently. she glanced at tyler, who was once again gnawing at his fingers.

"what does this mean?" she asked, even though her heart was sinking because she already knew.

"when i got home... he was... gone."

"what does that mean?" laura said, raising her voice.

"josh, he's dead."