Welcome Rejected

"Well, well, well," a smooth voice said. Their face appeared as they leaned over the edge of the ship, peering down at the Indians in their canoes. He was a handsome man, with black hair, and a pirate's hat- just like the ones Pan had told them about. "We have visitors."

"I'll load the cannon!" someone screeched from out of sight. Tigerlily glanced at Cobalt, concerned. Pan had told them of cannons.

"No, no, Cookson," the black-haired man said, waving him away. "That's not a very civil greeting, is it?"

Something in his voice made Tigerlily uncomfortable, but she stood tall.

"Lower the ladder! Come aboard the Jolly Roger!" the man yelled, waving them up. A long rope ladder was thrown over the side, and Tigerlily didn't hesitate to grab it. She scaled it and stood on the wide wooden railing of the ship, lost in wonder for a moment at the ship. It was even bigger than she'd realized. The masts and poles towered above her, and the enormous sails were tied against them in white bundles.

The black-haired man extended his hand to Tigerlily and helped her step off the railing.

"And who might you be?" he asked, smiling to show a row of perfectly straight, perfectly white teeth.

"I am Chief Tigerlily of the Neverland Indians," she said, standing proudly. "Sha basi in viya."

"Sha basi indeed," the man said. He looked her up and down before responding. "Captain James, at your service." He bowed low, sweeping off his hat.

Tigerlily motioned to the others of her tribe who were still boarding the ship. "We have brought gifts," she said. "Neverland welcomes you."

Captain James laughed, almost wistfully, and turned to scale the steps leading to ship wheel. "Well, Chief Tigerlily, it is an honor to be welcomed by you and... your people." He looked at the growing crowd of Indians spilling onto his ship.

Tigerlily followed him up the steps, motioning her people to stay where they were, though Cobalt looked ready to jump ahead at any moment. "What is your purpose in Neverland?" she asked. When he didn't answer, she continued, "Perhaps we can help you accomplish it."

The corner of the captain's mouth ticked up. He fingered the wheel for a moment longer before turning to Tigerlily.

"I need to find a boy by the name of Peter Pan."

Tigerlily's eyes brightened. "Yes! I know Pan. He's a friend of my tribe."

"Is he?" Captain James leaned forward hungrily. "Can you lead me to him?"

"I-" Tigerlily stopped. Her eyes travelled to the long, gleaming sword strapped to the pirate's waist. Captain James saw where she looked and put his hand on the hilt of the sword. She looked back up at him, but he said nothing. She opened her mouth slowly. "Why do you want to find Pan?"

The captain looked annoyed by her question, and he turned away for a second, composing himself before answering. Condescension flickered in his eyes. "I have unsettled business with the boy."

"Pan doesn't do business with pirates."

The corner of James's mouth went up. "He did with me."

"He fights pirates."

The pirate's face was hard to read. "He did that with me, too."

Tigerlily stepped away. "I will not condone an act of violence in Neverland. If you wish to find Pan, you can do it yourself." She turned abruptly and headed to the stairs, but before she'd reached the top step, a strong hand grabbed her by her shoulder and yanked her back. She yelped, and Cobalt leapt forward.

"Don't move," James ordered, dangerously calm. His pirates unsheathed their swords, blocking the Indians from coming any closer. The captain moved his arm around Tigerlily's neck, stepping on the trailing feathers of her headdress. He leaned down to her ear. "Now, my Chief," he uttered, his voice long and low, "will you tell me where Pan is?"

Tigerlily frowned, pulling against his arm. The captain looked up at his crew. "Kill one."

The pirates jumped into action, grabbing Cobalt from the head of the group.

"NO!" Tigerlily screamed. One pirate reared back with his sword, but before he could swing forward, an arrow whistled through the air. The familiar sound of the arrow hitting its mark resounded for several seconds.

Then the pirate fell over, landing facedown on the deck. The captain's grip loosened on Tigerlily for just a second as he looked towards the cliffs. She twisted free and jumped to the lower deck, skipping the stairs completely. "Fall back!" she yelled. "Let the archers fight!"

Arrows fell from the sky, and the pirates were preoccupied just long enough for Tigerlily to capture her people's attention. She planted one foot on the low rail of the ship and jumped off. For a moment she was falling through the air, then she plummeted into the water, disappearing beneath the waves.

She didn't stop there. Tigerlily swam down, where the shadows grew longer, encumbered by her chieftain costume. She kept going until she saw the flicker of light to her right. Mermaids!

She was running out of air. She pushed through the water, trying to keep the reflection of light in sight. The mermaids were masters of hiding, but she needed their help. They could never row their boats back to shore quickly enough. They needed the mermaids to push their boats for them.

Her lungs ached. She reached up and ripped the headdress off, watching it float down into the shadows. Her vision blurred, but as she stared into a black crevice, she saw two eyes appear, looking back at her.

She only saw a blur of movement, but she felt the hands around her arm, pulling her to surface, and when she broke into the air she inhaled sharply. The mermaid pushed her onto the edge of one of the boats and disappeared back under the surface. The rest of the Indians were already in the boats, and whoever was in this one pulled Tigerlily aboard. She barely made it in before the mermaids pushed the boats forward, and they lurched across the surface of the water.

Tigerlily looked back at the pirate's ship, wiping the water from her eyes. She could see arrows flying, pirates running across the deck. The Indians hiding at the top of the cliff were invisible- even she couldn't spot them.

She jolted out of her seat as the boat ran up against the sand, and the welcome party jumped out, yanking their canoes into the brush, hiding them in the tree line.

Tigerlily was the last to leave the beach, following her people into the jungle. She stopped a few steps in and turned back, watching the pirates. Her heart fell as she watched their haste, heard their angered voices carrying through the lagoon. 

Then a sound cracked through the air- that same noise she'd heard the day the pirates came. But this one was different. It was followed by a crunching, crumbling noise, deep and resounding. She stepped forward.

The cliff- her heart caught in her throat- the cliff was falling apart. Rock and dirt tumbled downwards, splashing into the water. She heard the distant cry of one of her archers, falling from their hiding place. 

Tigerlily backed away and ran, the echoes of the destroyed cliff pounding in her ears.