Daughter

She burst into the camp, bustling with morning activity, and her people swarmed her with questions.

"Chief! Something is different," voices said. "Is the enemy gone? What happened? There are no more injuries. Everyone is better."

She stepped past the growing circle of people, heading towards her tent. "Where is the Fairy Queen?" she asked.

"Chief," Sequoia called, running up to her. "One of the scouts has news from the Mermaid Lagoon."

A scout was right at his heels, and he paused briefly, bowing his head to Tigerlily. "Chief Tigerlily. The Regent Mermaid herself met me at water's edge. She said this was found in the wreckage," he said, revealing the prophecy sword, entangled in leafy vines still dripping with water. "And she said it belonged to you."

Tigerlily stared it, but didn't accept it. She glanced from the scout to Sequoia and back again.

"Honorable Tigerlily." She jerked up to look at the descending Fairy Queen. Pixie dust sprinkled off her with every movement, and she came to a stop at eye level with Tigerlily. She motioned to the sword.

"I don't want to take it," Tigerlily whispered.

"It is your duty- your yadat- to take it."

Tigerlily's eyes swept across the sword, but still she didn't reach out for it. She looked back at the Fairy Queen. "My people have sworn to never return to our old ways. I don't need it."

The Queen waved her hand, lifting the sword with magic and floating it through the air towards Tigerlily. "Swords are for more than just battle, Tigerlily. You are not the first daughter to be named, nor will you be the last." Tigerlily's eyes widened at that. The Queen laughed quietly. "Neverland has been alive far longer than you have. Your people may forget, the fairies may forget, even Pan may forget, but the Island will always remember those who have held the sword."

Tigerlily reached out and took the sword by the handle, holding its gleaming tip up in the sunlight.

"The sword has served its purpose. It has chosen the heir. And now, it is your duty to restore basi and viya to your island."

The words rung through her, vibrating like a bell. She looked up at the Queen, full of determination. "How do I start?"

***

The evening was full of celebration. Every creature on the island appeared for the ceremony. It had been several days since the battle, and now Tigerlily was to be proclaimed Heir of the Sword. She had been hesitant at first, but the Queen had gently guided her through everything. Tigerlily was afraid that things would change, and that her tribe would have to become an army. But on the contrary, the Fairy Queen explained to her that the battle was over, and her people wouldn't have to fight. Becoming the heir wouldn't change her role as Chief. She'd already performed her duty as heir by defeating Time.

So they celebrated, late into the night, fairies and Indians and Lost Boys alike, around the fire, and with the mermaids in the lagoon, and at the river in the forest. The island was alive, and everyone leaned forward to watch as the Fairy Queen proclaimed Tigerlily Heir of the Sword, Chief of the Tribe, and Daughter of Neverland.

She was in all her tribal glory- a magnificent headdress, feathers shining. Colorful beads from the Lost Boys, sparkling stones from the fairies. The sword at her side. Tigerlily was happy, and she danced alongside her people until the fires died.

The last of the celebrators were heading to their homes, whether tent or tree or hollow, but Tigerlily didn't leave. Only a handful of fairies speckled the sky with their light, and even they were disappearing one by one. Soon the only light in the sky was the stars, and that was when Tigerlily left the fire pit and the area of the ceremony and ran, barefooted, through the camp to the cliffs.

She stood on the edge, listening to the water slap against the rocks below, and stared at the second star in the sky. There was no movement, not even a shadow. Pan still had not returned. Tigerlily sat down and stayed there, watching the star for a long time, waiting for the leader of the Lost Boys.

She yawned for a countless time. The Fairy Queen had asked her to join the gathering of island leaders tomorrow in Pixie Hollow, so she jumped up, ready to go to bed and begin the next day as Daughter of Neverland.