Epilogue

She knelt beside the creek, studying the narrow footprints in the mud. These were not made by the Lost Boys. She knew the track of every person, animal, and fairy on this island, but these were different.

She sniffed the air, but caught only the scent of magic drifting through the air, as it always did at dusk. Except dusk had faded almost twenty minutes ago. That magic should've been nestling into the boughs of trees, dissipating from the sky.

This magic was concentrated. It was different. It was stronger.

She crouched farther and moved past the creek, through the jungle towards the river, every sense alive, watching and waiting.

The Chief hid behind the cover of the bushes at the edge of the river, peering across the moonlit river to the forest, but saw no one. The feathers of her headdress tickled her arms, and the leather sheath of the sword rubbed against her leg. She couldn't stay long- there was a council meeting tomorrow morning. But this was tradition- every night, Tigerlily would leave the camp and wander the island, watching the second star. And every night, nothing happened.

But tonight, something was different.

There was no movement around her, so she crawled to the water's edge, crouching and staring at her reflection.

She had changed. The battle with Time had aged everyone on the island, and sometimes it surprised her to see what she looked like. But she looked stronger. Wiser. Now that Hyacinth was gone, many of her people came to her for wisdom, and she tried her best to give it. Though, if it were up to her, they would go to the fairies for wisdom. Fairies were much wiser than her- but they tended to speak in riddles.

Tigerlily sat back in the sand, letting her feet rest in the shallow water. She took a deep breath and tilted her head back, looking at the second star. It shone as bright as ever.

"Sha basi in viya," a voice said.

A familiar voice. Tigerlily's initial surprise melted, and she jumped up, spinning around to face them. "Pan," she exclaimed. "You're back!"

He smiled crookedly. Tigerlily squeezed him tightly in a hug.

"How's the Jungle side of Neverland?" he asked, unable to keep a smile off his face.

"Better than the forest," she answered. "As always." She clasped her hands together eagerly. "You've been gone forever! Will you come to the camp tomorrow night? We're having a fire, and I'm sure you have a thousand stories to tell."

"A thousand, don't be ridiculous," Pan said, waving her off. "I've got a million."

Tigerlily grinned. "Do the Lost Boys know you're back?"

"I went straight to the Hollow when I got back. Slightly told me everything." He smirked mischievously, looking sideways in her direction. "Chief, Heir, and Daughter." Tigerlily rolled her eyes. "Do I need to bow to you when I see you, your Majesty?"

"If you do I'll kick you."

He waved her off. "Oh, pshaw, you couldn't fight me."

"Is that a challenge?"

Pan laughed. Tigerlily smiled at the sound of it. She hadn't heard it in a long time, and it felt like a missing piece in the restoration of the island. Now- now peace seemed complete. Now basi and viya had really returned.

"Are you back for good?" she ventured.

Pan glanced over at her, smirking. "Only time will tell."