Chapter11: Lucy oh Lucy let down your hair

Mrs.Grey was all too happy to
give me Friday off especially when she found out the reason. She was all for the cause. I had insisted on getting some one to help her  out. I didn't want  her bending so much to stack  and organize and shelve new books. She said she'd get her grandson to stop buy, that he normally worked at the towns hospital in the evening that's why I never see him. I've never been to said hospital but I did drive pass it my first time here. She obviously loved him so much. She said he was going to become a doctor just like his mom, her daughter. She was so proud of her grandson. Whoever he was he was very lucky to have her from the way she spoke she loved him very much. There's is nothing like grandmotherly love to spoil you.

I had agreed with her patting her hand that if he had any of her spirit then he surely will get it done.

******

Friday was here. Friday morning after I'd made my Dad's favourite breakfast, a very heavy one at that: bacon, apple pancakes and baked Irish potato with cheese and plaintains, sort of as a bribe I told him I would be going shopping with some friends in the town over. The potato and cheese was more for me though.

He looked up at me smirking. "Does it have something to do with that Hunter guy you've been hanging out with?" He asks mouth stuffed with pancakes syrup dripping down his chin.

I frowned at him "you mean Darrel?"

He quickly chew what was in his mouth before speaking, after I glared warningly at him.

"Hunter, Darrel,"he says shrugging, doesn't matter you're the first person I've heard addressing him by his first name though," he says looking at me meaningfully.

My cheeks stained, I drank half my glass of orange juice, "I don't know what your talking  about Dad and whatever-"

He silences me with  a lift of his hand, eyes pleading "spare me the details just stay protected and all that jazz," he says shuddering.

I look at him horrified "Dad, I practically screamed Darrell and I haven't ..."I stuttered looking for the word...even kissed yet." I finish lamely. Well his lips did touch mine briefly once but that didn't constitute a kiss. Did it?

Dad looked at me with a proud smile "that's good, and  so tell me were there any guys back in you know the city?"he ask curiously.

Gosh how did this embarrassing  interrogation start? "No father I've never had... I've-  there hasn't been any boys."

"Really?"he says smile beaming.

I stuffed my mouth with pancakes so I didn't have to answer any more of his questions.

"That's my little girl,"he continues patnervousl. Boys have cooties anyways and plus they have real dirty minds  and are only after one  thing I tell yah."

I chuckled"you do know I'm seventeen right Dad? And that I've grown out those beliefs ages ago."

He nods smiling, "a father can hope," he says sipping his coffee.

"I can't get over your coffee Luce it's a God send, Dad says after a while of us just eating. What did you put it in?"

I shrugged, tapping my chin thoughtfully, "now why would I want to reveal my secret ingredient?"

"Okay I'll just have to keep you here forever. No college and all. Do you want to so spend your youth watching your old man grow wrinkly and older?"he ask smirking.

I scrunched up my nose "no thanks, it's just cinnamon."I finish as he flicks my nose playfully.

***********