Chapter 2

Ch. 2

A rush of panic immediately rose from my stomach. My mind went blank as so many different scenarios whirled through my head. Did it fall out of my purse? Did I leave it on the bleachers? Is it in the car? Did I ever even take it out? Was it stolen? It had to be at school, either there or stolen.

So in a huge rush, I sped to school. I frantically texted Lauren to meet me in the office because my wallet had been stolen. So the second I stepped out of my car, and made my way to the dean's office and her secretary had me fill out a questionnaire describing the missing object. My face was inches from the paper as I answered each question.

What was lost? My wallet

When was it lost? Friday Night football game

What did it look like? Small, black and pink, included mirror, contained driver's license, ATM card, student ID, Starbucks giftca-

I immediately stopped writing when I heard: "Excuse me, I found this wallet last night at the football game-"

I paused. I looked up from my paranoid handwriting only to see a boy with my wallet in his hand.

"That's mine! I was just filling out a paper to find it!" I exclaimed all in excitement. But this boy only looked down at me with a confident smirk.

"Well I guess I can just give it to you instead of leave it here. I'm guessing you're Jessalyn then?"

I looked up into his eyes and smiled back. He handed me the wallet and I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed with a stirring in my chest.

"Yes I am. Thank you." I chuckled, staring into his eyes. Lauren appeared by my side with a loss of breath and asked me what happened. To which I replied, "He found my wallet." And I held up what had been returned to me. And the boy turned around with a nod of his head and walked away. As I watched this boy walk away, Lauren stared at me. Then I looked at her. Her eyes squited.

"You think he's cute don't you?" she teased with a toothy grimace. I just scoffed and walked away. She let it go. Apparently it was no big deal. I had no time for something pointless getting in the way of my goal. Or so I thought.

The day began, just as all the other days, as I said before, my life could put someone to sleep since it consisted of no drama whatsoever. Until the bell rang for my first period and I felt a tap on my shoulder in the midst of my attempt to study before our quiz. I looked up only to see the boy who had returned my wallet. He smiled at me. So I smiled too.

"I didn't even realize we sit next to each other in this class." He sat in the chair beside me. Trevor Banter. I remembered his name from the first day of school.

"What a coincidence!" I replied with a cheeky smile, and returned to my studying.

"So we should hang out sometime. You owe me since I found your wallet." I paused. And I looked at him again. Then I giggled at him like he was crazy.

"I don't date," I insisted, "I don't have time for that." And I once again looked down at my book.

"Who said I was asking you on a date?" he asked. I looked at him from the corner of my eye with one eyebrow lifted in confusion. And he continued, "I just said we should hang out."

I decided to humor him. So I replied, "Maybe".

The rest of the period, I kept glancing at him. But I didn't understand why. Of course he looked very attractive but he seemed so lame. And he seemed like a waste of energy. But I couldn't get him out of my mind.

Day after day.