Chapter 5

The moonlight shone through my bedroom window. The wind howled and the leaves of the tree branches brushed against each other. Each sound became more audible with the stillness from within my walls. Then the sounds stopped. The silence of the night captivated the moment in which my phone lit up. I expected Dylan but instead, I read Trevor's name on my screen.

"Are you awake, my lovely?" it read.

This boy never knew when to give up. But, his persistence made him all the more attractive. So I sat up and replied, "I am indeed awake."

"Good. What are you up to, beautiful?"

"Well I was trying to go to sleep, but then you messaged me, so I guess it will have to wait. What about you?"

"I'm out and about."

"At one in the morning?"

"Yes. I snuck out."

"Why on earth would you sneak out?"

"What? You've never done it?"

"Absolutely not."

"What's kept you?"

"The fear of getting caught."

...

"I have an idea."

When I read those words, I instantly regretted responding to him in the first place because I knew exactly where this conversation would lead.

"No." I typed. I was not going to sneak out. I would rather not be in a mess with my parents. I was definitely not sneaking out.

"You don't even have to leave your house."

"No."

"Double negative. That means yes."

"Trevor I am not going to sneak out and you can't say anything to convince me otherwise."

"Alright fine."

And that should've been the end of it. But as the clock ticked and the night deepened, I heard my phone go off again.

"What would you do if I told you I just wanted to stop by your house?"

"Trevor no, go home."

"I'm joking."

"Good. You almost gave me a heart attack."

I laid my phone on my stomach. I stared up at the pitch black ceiling and contemplated what would happen if he actually did come over. It would surely wake my parents, then there would be a real problem on my hands. I preferred talking to Trevor from a distance, anyway. Then another little vibration went off.

"Yeah, funny thing, I'm actually outside your house right now."

I froze. My heart sunk and my feet went numb. My face went pale when I heard a tap on my window. My wide eyes darted toward it and I didn't move. Then I heard it again and I shot up in my bed and just stared into the darkness. My palms started sweating and there was a pit in my stomach. I am so dead I thought. Panicked, I tiptoed out of my room and out the back door, even though I had no clue what on earth I planned on doing with this boy. I rushed toward the back gate and as my dog followed close behind, I sneaked around the corner to the front of my house. And there he was. The extreme confusion and frustration showed in each of my hand movements. I motioned for him to follow me. This idiotic act of his definitely annoyed me, however, sending him back home would've been incredibly rude. So I led him to my backyard. I ran my fingers through my hair and shook my head. This is crazy.