Chapter 4

That night, Trevor lay awake in his bed. Wide-eyed and restless, he stared into the darkness of his bedroom with his hands behind his head as his mom slept alone in the next door bedroom. His mind raced and his thoughts wandered, from family, to friends, to school, to homework, to life. But he was constantly drawn back by one thing: the silver-lined face of the golden girl whose beautiful eyes and stunning smile that constantly left him at a loss for breath, continuously dwelled in his thoughts as each passing minute ticked by. Jessalyn Grace. Trevor turned on his side. He pictured her in his mind over and over, the way her eyes squint when she smiles, the way her hair dances with every turn of her head, the way she laughs with her entire body and her nose crinkles every time he spoke to her. This left Trevor uneasy, since he lived his life determined to never let his mind stay set on just one girl. So Trevor grabbed his phone beside his bed and scrolled through his contacts and stopped to send a message to Jaylin- a girl who had relations with Trevor not only two months ago- and made plans to see her that very night.

Trevor slipped into his jeans and pulled on a shirt before swiping his keys from his desk and carefully opening his bedroom window, staying aware of his sleeping mother next door. He swung one leg outside the window, ducked his head through and fell into a bed of shrubs while attempting to get his other leg through. He then stood again to slowly close the window and scrunched his face as he ever so cautiously snapped the window shut, and paused to see if there was a reaction from inside the house. All stood still. So Trevor snuck through the front yard and climbed into his truck. He turned the key in the ignition and drove without his headlights as he made his way out of the neighborhood.

As he drove, he continued to ponder. The music of his radio quietly played as his eyes followed the white stripes of the road that flashed by from the brightness of his headlights mixed in the darkness of the night. He traveled on and looked down at his phone again. He felt as if he was out of his mind- like he didn't know where he wanted to go, or like he trapped himself in the grasp of the girl glued to the back of his eyelids. Car lights shone by and street lights towered over him as he pulled over and texted Lauren about the one who captivated his mind. He never felt like this before, a love-struck fool, reaching out to a girl- to converse about another girl. Avoiding the easy mistake of the night in order to just catch a glimpse of her golden face instead. His stomach churned every time he pictured her. He smiled when he read her name in the conversation on his screen. When contemplating whether to continue driving and go through with the mistake he would make in a few minutes, or texting Jessalyn Grace, he understood that both options would leave him unsatisfied and feel like even more of a fool than before.

So he decided to text her.

Then he continued to drive.