Chapter 4

Three days I had been here. Three exhausting, long days. They had made me change into a simple dress which hung on me like a bag saying that we traitors didn't deserve proper clothes. The first day I got here they interrogated me. I told them all that I knew. I told him that I last saw him packing his bag before leaving the room.

I couldn't remember the event very well. I couldn't remember the conversation between my mother and my father that they were having before I entered the room. I started to feel sluggish as they deprived us of food and water.

I felt my belly rumble at the thought of food. My hands went to it and then back onto the metal table in front of me. This was the third time in three days I was brought here. I could hear men outside the room and I knew that there were men staring at me from behind the mirror as well. 

A man entered the room. It was always a different man. This one was a taller male with a slimmer build. He held a file in his hand and I watched as a young woman followed him with a tray in her hands, filled with food and water.

I stared at it, pleading that it would appear in front of me. I watched as it was placed in front of the man as he sat down. 

"Ellaine Coleman correct?" I nodded and watched him push the tray towards me. I pulled back from the table and stared at him as if he was insane. "It's okay Ellaine, you can eat it." I stared at him for a moment before digging into the food. As I finished he spoke again "See Ellaine, you can trust me."

"I'm not a dog." I mumbled out though the mouthful and he tilted his head.

"I'm sorry?" He was confused by my comment and I swallowed my mouthful.

"I said I'm not a dog. I don't gain trust through food." He barked out a laugh and shook his head before crossing his arms "My father told me never to trust your kind." He raised an eyebrow to me.

"And why is that?" He questioned.

"Because you have taken away everything. Our houses, our jobs, our safety. You promised us peace and protection. Instead we got violence and death of thousands." He stared at me for a moment before leaning forward, clasping his hands together.

"The rehabilitation camps are to keep peace between all races. They are there to inflect order-"

"Did you know that there are children in them, younger than the age of eight?" I told him "How are they a danger to your kind? To any kind?" He stared at me for a moment before looking at the mirror behind him. He then faced back to me and shrugged his shoulder.

"The answer to your question is no by the way." I told him crossing my arms over my chest. "I don't know where my father is. If I did know I would tell you so I could have my life back but I don't." The man stood up suddenly and left the room along with the girl who had come in with him.

I slumped back into my chair and let out a breath that I didn't know I was holding. I stared at the metal table in front of me before I heard the door open again. It was Lewis. He was the man who escorted me from this room to the cell where I was being held while they interrogated me. I had learned his name the first day I was here when he introduced himself to me. It was odd having one of those creatures be nice to me.

He gave me a small smile before gesturing me to stand up and lead me out of the room. I felt him enclose his hand around my arm lightly. This is how I knew he was younger than many others here. He was nice. He hadn't been tainted or turned into a monster. 

"You know what to do to make this all stop." He mumbled beside me as we turned a corner. I rolled my eyes at his comment.

"If I knew where my father was then I would have told them already." I hissed back. He shook his head before leading me down a flight of stairs. I had grown familiar with this walk. Within a matter of seconds I would be filled with an area of groans and shouts. A place of restlessness that smelt like vomit, piss and foul meat. I wrinkled my nose as we entered my cell. Lewis released me and locked the door.

"If your hiding something though Ellaine..." He trailed off. I shook my head at him and took a seat on my 'bed' and I use that term lightly. It was a metal cot that had a thin mattress placed on it which was covered in a scratchy blanket and a make shift pillow. I let my hands rest of the metal bar and stared at the wall in front of me.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I sat that way for what seemed like hours before I heard the entrance door open. I heard voices flutter into my cell as they walked towards it.

"And this is where we keep all humans which we suspect conspire against the royal family." I scoffed and rolled my eyes before pulling my legs into my chest and resting my head onto the wall.

I heard footsteps come closer towards my cell. They came slowly but eventually stopped outside of my cell. 

"And this is Ellaine Coleman. Suspected of keeping information on the death of Luna Queen Vivian."

"Open it up." I heard the other man grunt out. I didn't take my eyes off of the wall on the far side of my cell until a large figure appeared in front of me. 

I stared up at the man in front of me and scrunched my face in confusion. It was the man from the pack house. The same man that watched me be dragged away by two men. "Has she given any information?" He questioned the man next to him.

"No my king she hasn't." My mouth fell open at his name. I suddenly felt the need to get away from him. I scrambled closer to the wall and looked around the room, desperately wanting a way out.

"Good." He grunted out and grabbed me by the arm. A shock ran through my arm and I watched as he suddenly pulled back. I yelped in surprise and clutched my arm. I looked up to see him staring at his hand and then back at me. Silence filled the room before he suddenly left without another word. The man that came in quickly followed him leaving me bewildered.

What just happened ?