Chapter One: Reassigned

It's five in the morning and I'm up bright and early. I waste no time getting dressed and eating my food. Once I'm done (I'm sure I probably ate too fast), I throw my (h/c) hair into a hairtie and I get ready to leave. Suddenly, there's a knock on my door. Sighing, I open the door and in front of me stands Iruka-sensei holding a note.

   "Hello, (y/n), excited for your first day as a Ninja?  I hope you are. But, before you leave, this is from the Hokage. You have been reassigned to a different team," he says, smiling. I can tell he'd rather be sleeping, his eyes are still very tired-looking.

   I take the note and glance at it. "Assigned to a different team? I wonder why? Well, I'm sure that my instructor will explain why. Thank you for the note,  Iruka-sensei!"

He turns to leave.

   "Oh, before you go, Sensei..."

   "Yes,  (y/n)?" He asks.

   "Try to get some sleep," I laugh. "You look like death!"

   "Okay," He replies, rubbing the back of his neck and smiling. "Have a good day, (y/n)!" After that, he runs off down the road towards his house to get some sleep, I'm assuming.

   Oh, I forgot to read the note he gave me. It says here that I've been reassigned to Team 7, with... Sasuke Uchiha and... Naruto Uzumaki?! Isn't that the kid with the nine-tailed fox inside of him? Well, that's what I've heard. I don't know why the whole village is so mean to him, because they obviously have their demons too, if they're willing to pick on an innocent kid. And my new sensei is... I read through the last part of the note.

Oh, no.

My new sensei is Kakashi Hatake.

I thought about some of the things that a few of my former classmates said about him. From what I heard, not a single student had ever passed his test.

Apparently he's pretty sassy as well, and is often late to his own training sessions. Now normally I would be afraid. Back at the academy I would have been afraid, but this is a chance to be a new me. To show that I can become a Jounin, and maybe one day become Hokage. I'm no Naruto, so I doubt I'll be that hellbent on becoming Hokage, it's really not a life or death goal for me. I want to help others and be a great shinobi, but I don't know if I could handle the Hokage's responsibility... So, pass..

Anyways, I knew that I'd be able to handle him. Besides, he might have sass, but I have sass to match and maybe even more.

Oh shit, the time!

   I hurry up and leave, jogging off to the training area designated for Team 7. When I arrive, only one of my teammates (who I assume might be Sasuke Uchiha), is waiting.

He honestly looks so...  Annoyed. With everything. I can already tell he thinks better of himself than others with the way he's leaned against that tree, but I'm not here to make enemies, I'm here to make lifelong teammates. Get it together, (y/n)! Stop staring, he'll think you're rude!

He shoots me a quick glance and sighs. I guess he's having a rough day??? I don't know, but I won't let it get me down. I walk over to him and introduce myself. Beaming, I hold out my hand.

   "Hello, my name is (y/n), I'm glad that I'm on your team! I hope we can become amazing teammates."

Again, he sighs before grabbing my hand and looks me right in the eye. No smile.

   "Sasuke Uchiha of the Uchiha clan." He runs a hand through his raven coloured hair and once again, sighs. Annoying...

After that, we were sat waiting for another two hours when we heard a every loud and obnoxious screeching sound. As it got closer, I could distinctly tell that it was a blonde boy in an awful orange jumpsuit about my age, screaming at the top of his lungs about how he'd become Hokage and then everyone would have to respect him.

   "Loser," said Sasuke from a few feet away.

The boy emerged from the wooded path to the right and made his way to our area, a dirt path with an open fence above a portion of it. I could see now that he had whisker-like marks on his cheeks and blue eyes shaped like a fox's.

As soon as he sees us,  he comes barreling down the path at full speed and then stops at the gate. Looking at me and then shoving a thumb towards himself, he goes,

   "I'm Naruto Uzumaki, official ninja and future Hokage! Believe it!"

   "Future Hokage, huh?" A smooth, yet aloof and bored, voice comes from behind Naruto. Naruto spins around and goes nearly white. Behind him stands a tall man with gravity-defying silver hair and a mask covering the lower half of his face, as well as a headband covering one of his eyes. He's holding a book labeled "Makeout Paradise" in one hand and spinning a kunai in the other.

   "S-sensei, don't sneak up on me like that!"

   "If you don't want me to sneak up on you," he says, very bored and rolling his eyes, "Then don't put yourself in a position where I can. It's that simple,  really."

I speak up. "Sensei, you're late."

His eyes move towards me and away from Naruto. He looks very confused and taken aback for a moment, and then closes his eyes in a way that replicates smiling. He then addresses us all formally.

   "Hey guys! Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life."

   "Hey, what kind of excuse is that?!" Naruto yells.

He begins yelling at Kakashi-sensei and waving his arms.

   "Remember Naruto, you were late as well," says Kakashi.

He doesn't seem so bad...  So far. I don't know what everyone was talking about. This is a piece of cake.

Naruto is still yelling at Kakashi when I come out of my thoughts. I look over at Sasuke and see a slight spark of interest in his eyes as he watches the genin and the jounin, and I thought for a second that I saw a bit of color in his cheeks. No, I'm sure that's not what it was. At least he doesn't look as annoyed right now.

Naruto is finally finished yelling at Kakashi and it's time to start the lesson.

   "The lesson today," started Sensei, "Is not one that I will be teaching you."

Sasuke, Naruto, and myself pause.

   "It is one that you will be teaching yourselves."