L V

[edited: 04/06/2018]

The next day, Remy found herself in a room that she had been in only once before, when she had been locked in the cells for a night and a trial was held to decide what the Council would do with her, a mortal girl stuck in a world that was not hers. All of that seemed a million years ago now, though the room still looked exactly the same, with its hand-painted pictures and marble floors.

The bright orange sun was high in the mid-afternoon sky and cast rays of light into the room, turning everything unbearably golden. She and Maksim had slept until noon, and had risen out of bed only when Hilda ordered them to, saying that another trial was to be held. Remy was quite certain that this trial would have a much different outcome to her first one. Hilda had said it was to decide what to do with her and Sarah now that the Dark War—that is what they had named yesterday's battle—was momentarily over. Of course, it would not really be about them, but the key. Still, she was nervous. A part of her already knew what was to come, and what it would mean for her and Maksim. It seemed he was thinking the same thing, too, for he had barely spared her a glance since she had left his bed.

He was sat beside her now on a well-cushioned chair, his lips pursed and his eyes focused on the Principle Warlock as he stood up by way of beginning the trial. Sarah was on the other side of her and she was receiving a similar silent treatment from her, too, though that might have been because of the strange new environment she was in—or at least, that's what Remy told herself. She remembered what it felt like to be surrounded by warlocks and witches for the first time and was surprised to find that she had grown accustomed to it now. It was quite a shame that soon she would no doubt be erased from this world and sent back to her own and none of this would matter anymore.

"We shall begin the trial." The Principle Warlock's voice echoed through the hall just as it had the first time she had been here. She did not feel any more comfortable with the Council's eyes on her now than she had then, though now the scrutiny was shared with Sarah, another mortal girl who did not belong. She might have been grateful if she did not feel so guilty.

"As I am sure you all know, Remy Morgan and the Opal family were involved in the Dark War last night. Remy is currently in possession of the key that the Dark Ones so desperately want, and they have proven that they will stop at nothing to get it. I have called this trial in order to decide what we shall do next; the mortal girl has shown great bravery and protected the key despite the danger it has entailed, but this is not her world and she cannot stay here forever."

"There are no specific laws against it, sir," a yellow-haired witch said from behind the long table of Council members. Remy did not recognise her and was surprised at how things had changed; before the battle, there had been no one who had wanted her to stay, and now it seemed as though they were defending her, trying to stop her from leaving. "Of course, it is against our people's beliefs to keep a mortal here, but might we make an exception that the girl may stay or leave as she pleases?"

Remy noticed Maksim's posture change from the corner of her eye. He had straightened his back and was now leaning forward as though he was watching a particularly tense scene in a movie. She wondered whether it was what he wanted, for her to stay. She hoped so.

The Principle sighed, crossing his arms solemnly over his black robe. "I am sorry, Mrs. Cromwell, but I cannot allow a mortal to portal frequently between this world and her own. It would be careless and far too much of a risk. The Mortal World must not find out about us, and I fear that allowing the girl to come and go as she pleases might allow this to happen. It is simply not an option."

He paused, his grey eyes falling on Remy. She couldn't help but notice how tired he looked, his skin paler than usual and the lines in his face more deeply etched than she remembered. He did not seem harsh or stony as he had during the first trial, though, when the very idea of a mortal was enough to make him bitter. Instead, he appeared almost welcoming, but that did not stop Remy from shifting uncomfortably under his gaze.