dalawang pu't siyam

[a/n: confession: i don't know how auditions work, so i'll try my best to make it seem realistic + fitting in the fanfiction. i'm sorry if this causes any inconvenience.]

despite how loud the chatters that were bouncing from wall to wall in the waiting area, donghyuck could still hear his heart's fast beating. every time he tried to engage into a conversation with one of his friends, two things kept distracting him.

one: the door where those who are attending the auditions come in and out.

second: them.

with all of his gaze-shifting from the door to the other end of the hallway, he would have probably been too dizzy to even perform.

they said they were coming, weren't they? then where were they? he wished he could see them at least once before doing his turn.

time went by, yet donghyuck still had his head occupied. he was so distracted by his thoughts that he needed all four of his friends to shake him conscious.

oh, and a slap from renjun and a dose of dolphin laugh from chenle.

"what?" donghyuck blurted out, then winced as soon as the pain from the slap registered in his nerves. "what the heck?"

"it's your turn!" jaemin exclaimed, followed by nods from the other four.

"it is?" donghyuck stuttered, immediately standing up.

"it is," jeno repeated, pushing him towards the door."now go!"

"good luck, hyung!" chenle greeted, waving at him.

donghyuck looked at them, then nodded with a smile. "thanks."

with that, donghyuck approached the door and took a deep breath before twisting the door knob and stepping in the room.

"lee donghyuck?" one of the judges asked as he closed the door behind him.

"yes," he answered softly with a slight stutter, nervosity increasing in him every second that passed.

"alright," another judge said. "we're ready when you are."

when he was about to step in the center of the room, he felt his phone vibrate in his pocket, making him hesitate. he stayed there for a while, pulling his phone out and checking out what he received.

[heyhaechan] lemihy99: hey!!! i see you!!!
[heyhaechan] lemihy99: wow, you're more beautiful in real life.
[heyhaechan] lemihy99: anyway, good luck, donghyuck!

donghyuck's eyes widened at their first message. he immediately looked up and looked around the room, finally noticing how many people were watching. his family was there, his friends were there, his friends' families were there. he also saw a few familiar faces, but his attention was caught by one face that was too good-looking and familiar to forget.

he watched as mark looked from his phone to him, making him freeze on the spot.

he was already surprised that they managed to have eye contact, but when mark maintained it and even shone a smile at him, he felt like he was going to burst i to a bunch of butterflies that filled his stomach.

"do your best," he mouthed.

it took donghyuck a second to let everything sync in. as soon as he processed his words, donghyuck looked away, trying to bite back his blush and his flustered feelings.

he was definitely going to do his best.