[02]

There were many things Ryan could have done. He could have yelled for help, called the police, or just run out the door. Instead, his legs were firmly planted in place as he kept looking at what he could what he regarded as the impossible.

It’s as if time had slowed, yet his mind ran at the speed of sound as he tried to process of what was happening, and what he had to do next.

“Not...mine?” Ryan finally replied, in-between breaths. He wasn’t sure if he was finally going insane, or if he was still asleep, but either way, there was no way this was actually taking place while he was in a state of consciousness.

“The photograph. It is not yours. Give it back or I won’t hesitate to slit your throat.”

Sensing danger for the first time, his heart jumped and missed a beat. He dropped the picture involuntarily, now using his free hand to grip the door knob just behind him. Whatever he was seeing still stood where it was, not moving, still giving off one of the most threatening glares Ryan had ever seen in his life.

“I’m fucking dreaming,” Ryan muttered to himself, blinking twice and praying to God it’d disappear every time he opened them. No. It was still there.

“Get out of my house.”

The voice. It was menacing, like it wasn’t bluffing with threats it had been giving to Ryan.

Through the blinds, sun poured into the unlit room, causing Ryan not to see what he was seeing very well. Its feet placed on the ground, like his, but as cliché as it sounded, what he was seeing was translucent. Through the unnatural being he could see the hallway leading into his bedroom. Somehow, Ryan hadn’t noticed this before. He had a word to describe what he was seeing, but even the mere thought of this word was ridiculous.

“Your house? This place is mine.” He said. Immediately he questioned himself why he was arguing with something that had the possibility and potential to kill him, but it was too late, the words had already escaped from his shaking lips as he hoped for the best.

Still, his legs refused to move. Fear had struck him, its adrenaline running wildly into his veins as all he could do was keep staring, wide eyed, to the being in front of him.

It picked up the photograph Ryan had dropped without moving an inch from where it was. Ryan was just about ready to pass out as the picture levitated from its position near Ryan’s feet and away from him and into its hands. There was no way this was real.

“How dare you come into my property, and touch my things? With the intention of...what? Living here? What a fucking mess you are.”

Suddenly, it started to move, slowly coming closer to Ryan. A chilling drop in temperature caught Ryan’s attention immediately and he shrank back, like a small, young kid, closing his eyes and now feeling absolutely helpless. Knowing he couldn’t escape the situation he was in, he opened his eyes slowly, unable to conceal a small yelp of fear as whatever it was now stared him in the face, just inches apart from his.

A look in its eyes is something Ryan will never forget, and in the only way he could put what he saw into words was genuine hate and loathing unlike anything he had ever seen before. Being this close, he finally managed to get a good look at him. Other than the look in its eyes, he could see a tint of brown in them, faint blond hints of color in his hair, and a frown on his face. His eyebrows were scrunched up together in anger, only adding to the fear Ryan felt for what could possibly happen to him next.

“I should not have to repeat myself. I’m getting tired of you, and your kind. Taking everything for granted. What bullshit. Wasting all your lives away doing absolutely nothing important. You’d be better off dead.”

The next thing Ryan remembered was feeling a sudden, immense pain on his wrist, like someone had grabbed him tightly and wasn’t letting go. His eyes snapped down to his wrist, where it was holding him. It felt like his whole arm was burning and numb, all at the same time.

With a sudden burst of fight-or-flight, Ryan turned the door knob and pulled the door open running out of the apartment as it let go of him. He ran straight down ten flights of stairs, never missing a beat as he felt like whatever it was had kept following him, but when he finally stopped outside the main entrance of the building, nothing was off the ordinary. People going about their own business. L.A. in its normal form.

Ryan breathed heavily, pulling his phone from his pocket and shooting a text to a contact he didn’t even check.

‘I need a place to stay in. Can you help, please?’

It took about five minutes of Ryan trying to calm himself down and checking whether had it followed him back before the person who had texted him answered.

‘Yeah, sure. I’m at work right now, but meet me at my apartment at six.’

Ryan didn’t even bother to reply as he walked to their apartment, not wanting to take a cab and walked for a full straight hour until he finally arrived, admittedly 4 hours early to the time they had set.

He needed to think of what he had encountered.

...

yeah, this is how it's going.

i'm sorry if how i write is cringe as fuck, i haven't written anything like this for 3 years so i'm like, a newborn when it comes to things like this. anyway, please leave a vote and a comment on what u think! i'd love to hear your thoughts.

follow me on social media too, if you want. i'm not cool but hey i like buzzfeed unsolved so it counts, i think.

twitter: darkipliar