The Old Man's House

"So the old man is dead..." You murmur, trying to remember his face. He hadn't been a social man, gruff, and more than once went on a drunken rant in his front yard about witches targeting him. Crazy old guy-

"Yeah, so how about we check out his things before they go on auction?" The strawberry blonde beauty closes her eye with a smile that reminded you of a Cheshire cat.

"Oh no, last time we went stealing, the best thing I got was a pretty ashtray. I don't even smoke. I'm just using it as a paperweight." You deadpan, pointing to the said object.

"Come on! He's been here since the town was built! Even a legendary Mage Hunter! We're bound to find some good stuff! Even with your picky taste!" She gushes.

"What do you think Robin?" You look to your other roommate. She closes her book and stands up with a soft smile.

"I'm in." She hums. Dammit...

"Alright, we heading out now?" You guess, peering at the clock as you start to change.

"Yes!" Nami bursts dashing to her room.

"She's been eyeing that house for a while." Robin comments.

"Yeah, I figured, but that old man always put me on edge," You shrug, pulling on your stealth clothes.

"He did have that effect on many." She muses walking out to her room. You finishdressing, going to your window and peering out through the blinds at the house two streets down.A frown crosses your lips before you grab your backpack and go out to meet the other two.

"Off to the creepy house on the block." You give a thumbs up. Nami gushes again and leads the way out. You and Robin trail after, taking in thenight air.

"Nice night to steal." Robin hums.

"It'ss not stolen if it doesn't currently belong to someone." Nami giggles.

"I'm concerned about your logic." You sigh as a breeze brushes over you. Tonight was nice at least and definitely felt like a mischievous night. "Maybe I'll go see him tonight." You smile a bit to yourself.

"Ugh... You're still with Dellinger?" Nami tosses you a slight frown. "You can do so much better."

"Mmm, I don't see why you don't like him Nami." You sigh.

"I just don't trust him, he seems off." She shrugs. You look to Robin for input but she just offers a small smile.

"Anyway, let's find out if the back door is going to open." You change the subject, climbing over the wooden fence and unlatching the gate for them. They brush by, Nami smiling cheerfully before going to the back door and working her skills. You look up at the house again, remembering one of your few interactions with the former owner.

The papers are ripped from your hands by a gust and you stop to watch them flutter away with a blank expression. Those papers had killed your spirit, you had actually felt some relief when they flew away.

One catches the old man's leg and he rather quickly retrieves the papers as they went by. You blink back, frowning when you realize you hadtaken a wrong turn home. "Oh, sorry Mr. Sakazuki." You speak up, approaching him as he looks over the papers with a stern face. He looks to you as you stop a bit away.

"These papers do not determine what you become. You do." He states before promptly burning them with his lighter. You blink at him in surprise as he tosses them to the ground before shuffling to his mailbox, muttering to himself about the idiotic new age or something.