For Anxiety, Nightmares, and Distress

I suffer from horrible nightmares sometimes, and I have severe anxiety issues at times as well. When I have night time anxiety, before I go to bed, this is what I do.

Step One:

Read aloud, even if it is only by pronouncing the words with your tongue without sound, Surah Al Ikhlas, Al Falaq, and Al Nas (the last 3 surahs in the Qur'an).

"In the name of God, the Lord of Mercy, the Giver of Mercy

Say, He is God the One, God the eternal. He begot no one nor was he begotton. No one is comparable to Him.

In the name of God, the Lord of Mercy, the Giver of Mercy

Say Prophet, I seek refuge with the Lord of daybreak against the harm of what He has created, the harm of the night when darkness gathers, the harm of witches when they blow on knots, the harm of the envier when he envies.

In the name of God, the Lord of Mercy, the Giver of Mercy

Say I seek refuge with the Lord of people, the Controller of people, the God of people, against the harm of the slinking whisperer who whispers into the hearts of people, whether they be jinn or people."

Step Two:

Prostrate and ask God for full, restful sleep, ask Him to remove the anxiety and fear from your heart that you might rest peacefully, and thank Him for every blessing you have and every day you've lived.

Step Three:

And it sounds stupid, but seriously, drink a massive glass of water. God helps those who help themselves.