one

one; one more time
max just can't seem to get it right.

||

"warren, you can't actually be serious." max huffs with an amused smile on her face. she slams her locker closed and feels her own smile drop as a sharp ring blocks her hearing.

the ringing fades and she finds herself facing warren as he moves to walk down the hall. he stops to wait for max to join him by his side with a swing of his arm, "what do you mean, i can't actually be serious? of course i'm serious!"

max hikes her backpack higher, "your warren graham," she laughs nudging her shoulder into his as they start walking down the crowded hallway, "and warren graham doesn't skip school."

warren glares over to his left at her, "i'm not joking max."

max flinches at the hostility in his eyes and slows down. with a tentative hand she grabs onto his arm, "what's gotten into you?"

warren frowns and lightly brushes off max's hand. with a guilty look he speeds up, "it's nothing."

max reaches her hand out and clamps it down onto warrens shoulder. she spins him and takes a step closer, "come on warren, tell me?"

when warren pouts and says nothing she says jokingly, "your starting to sound like trevor."

something in warren seemed to have snapped, he bared his teeth and snarled, "you'd like that wouldn't you?" he turns sharply and stomps away.

max was left confused, holding a heavy guilt she didn't know the source of. what had gotten into him? this is not like warren, at all.

should i rewind?

of course i should.

it's already been 4 days and there hasn't been any repercussions to this power yet. nothing i should be worried about yet.

but

what would i even say?

who cares just do it before you cant!

max reaches her hand up, and despite the small twinge of pain, focuses on the moments before. she watches as the people around her retrace there steps.

she listens to the whirring of time and the whispers of backward conversations. her head thumps with a harsher, yet still dull, pain. when she falls forward, her left foot hurriedly chases forward to stop her fall, everything else falls into place.

"i'm not joking max."

max rolls through dialogue options in her head before stumbling out, "i know you aren't, i was just joking." it wasn't very convincing.

there's a silence.

warren breathes in deep, a fire settling in his eyes. max's footing wavers.

warren holds a hesitant stare with the ground. it's quiet, the gears silently turning in his head. then, he snaps."no!" warren yells, people all throughout the hall turn to stare. they stop gossiping, they stop beating up the poor kid, they stop dry humping on the lockers. they stop cursing this got forstaken school. they stop. they stop, and they stare. they listen, "i know you think im some goodie two-shoes, but i can be bad! so stop fawning over people like trevor and tren-"

they found their prey.

max puts her hand up, that wasn't it. she forces warren back, along with all the eyes. the eyes, they go back, they go back to quickly glancing in and out of conversation, quickly breaking eye contact with acquaintances.. their ears silently eavesdropping, silently tuning in and out of their friends rambling.

silently gathering everyone in this towns secrets.

"i'm not joking max."

max clenches her teeth as the pain grows, "will you invite me—" she breathes in heavy, keeping her voice low "when you do?"

warren let's out a laugh, "so now you want to hang out with me, huh?" max blinks her eyes as her vision becomes hazey. the eyes are back to blatantly staring.

"of course- of cours- course i do warren! it doesn't matt-"

"no max! i always invite you to do things, and you-" he runs a hand through his hair, others eyes follow the motion,"you always blow me off- or- or- or you canc-" her hearing fades in and out, her heart beat canceling out all other sounds. but, even a ringing overlaps that.

fuck

she raises her hand and promises her self this is last time. she just, she can't lose another friend.

"i'm not joking max."

it becomes to much. max cant focus, her mind fades, her breath becomes to unsteady. the whole room feels far to stuffy, "fuck!"

eyes.

"max-"

ears.

"fuck, fuck, fuck." her hands grip at her hair. she wipes away the wet sensation running down her top lip.

blood.

she rubs her finger off on her shirt and breathes. in through her nose and out through her mouth. she cancels out the voices around her. she numbs herself from the heat of everyone's stares. ignores the rocking of her head when warren shakes her shoulders.

secrets.

she brings her hand up, it bumps against warrens shirt, but she pays it no mind. one last time

"i'm not joking max."

her mind races with ideas, then she barely manages to crack a smile when she realizes her time for brainstorming has ran out, "jeez, alright," she punches his shoulder, her fist barely able to stay closed, it ends up much lighter than she intended, "didn't know you were so into the idea." god, she felt light headed.

warren goes to speak again but she cuts him off, "go for it." she rushes, more blood dripping from her nose, "warren, i gotta go, sorry," max turns her face away and pinches her hand to stay composed, uses the pain to keep her grounded. "see you later, ya? okay bye!"

she barely makes it into her dorm room without passing out.

day five: ive found a repercussion.

||

hello. thanks for reading this chapter..

usually i write longer chapters, like 2000 words, but i decided to try something different for this one.

words; 976

votes, comments, and feedback is appreciated:')

bi<3

i'll edit this later...