two

two; i'm fine
max just can't wrap her head around it.

||

max woke up gasping for air, unable to remember why. unable to open her eyes without a hum in her ears.

she fights through it, turning over in the covers to look at the digital clock, laid tilted toward her, on the nightstand.

7:31pm

she had fallen asleep for seven hours?

she breathes in through nose and falls back flat against the bed, eyes filtering through the all the grooves on the ceiling. at least the hum in her ears was beginning to fade.

when it finally gets to manageable level she rolls over to grab her phone. the screen illuminates the room at full brightness, she squints away the pain and turns it down.

92 missed calls
204 missed messages

max has never unlocked her phone faster. what the fuck happened? who was trying to reach her so urgently in that short amount of time?

her battery was on a measly 17%. outcome to her barely managing to slap it on the table before practically bleeding out on the bed.

blood.

it was everywhere. dried all under her nose, a trail, to her lips and to her cheeks. it was layered, seemed as if she had continued bleeding long past the point of her unconscious state. it was stiff in her hair, a stain on her pillow. it was red, red like the edges of her eyes when she had pushed herself to far, yet decided to rewind, that one last time.

her tongue darts out. copper. metallic. it was a foreign taste that coated her lips. it wasn't exactly unpleasant, it was more nostalgic. it reminded her of the times she would run into a tree too hard as a kid, or when chloe would get a little to into their sword wielding skills.

it's thursday, her next class isn't until 12. this, thankfully, gives her enough time to uncover her freckles and watch as the muddy red color swirls down the drain.

when back at the room, she quickly opens her phone and opens up the the message tab labeled 'mom'. her fingers swipes up six times, scrolling past countless messages. once reaching the first messages max stops and starts to read.

'maxine, we just got a call from your teacher saying you haven't been in class for the past two days. apparently, there was no noted of a leave of absence so he contacted us. what is the meaning of this, message me as soon as you see this.'

'we worked really hard to get you into this school.'

'reply to your mother, stop ignoring me.'

'maxine?'

'are you okay?'

max can feel the panic rising in her throat as she continues to scan the remaining messages.

two days? what did she mean two days? she had only been out 7 hours?

right? no, no she was sure. there was no way she was out that long.