chapter 1

SEPTEMBER 1ST 2016

ALEX'S POV:

Dear Alexander Hamilton,
​​​​Below you will find an attachment to a list of your room, block and who your roommate will be. If you have any problems with the information listed, please contact us as soon as possible so that we can resolve the issue before the school year start again on September 5th. Classes start on September 12th, leaving you a week to get settled into your room and get to know the campus and your new roommate. On behalf of Columbia University, welcome to our school.
Kind Regards,
​​ George Washington
​​ Head of School.

CLICK HERE

I inhale deeply, slightly nervous to see who I will have to spend the next year of my life living with. I exhale and click the link:

NAME: Alexander Hamilton
AGE: 19
ROOM NUMBER: 46
BLOCK: Miranda
ROOMMATE: John Laurens

I sigh with relief. I have been nervous that Thomas Jefferson would be my roommate ever since I found out that he was coming to Columbia University like me.
Thomas and I have a bad history, we have been in the same class since I moved from Saint Croix when I was 13, after the hurricane that killed my mother and nearly took me with it, but unlike most other people, I couldn't seem to die (not historically accurate, but it matches better with my story).

We (unintentionally, of course) took all of the same subjects and were in the same classes.
It was always a fight of who would come out at the top of the class. And the worst part? We had to sit next to each other in every single class. For some reason, teachers love having students seated in register order, so I saw him more than anyone would want to.
You can imagine how thrilled I was to find out that we had both accepted to go to the same University for the same courses.
I'm really excited, but also a bit nervous to meet my roommate next Monday. Who knows, maybe he'll be cute.

I slap myself in the face.

God, I'm such a wreck. I haven't even met the guy yet and I'm already thinking about getting in his pants. I bet he wont even be gay. What if he's homophobic? What if I mess up our friendship with a stupid comment and we have to awkwardly live together for the rest of the year. I'm too paranoid. I have trouble sleeping every night leading up to the 5th.

SEPTEMBER 5TH 2016

On the morning of the 5th, I grab my last things that I haven't packed yet and head to the door of our house. I take a deep breath as I turn around to my empty bedroom, and walk out of the door for one last time. "Here goes nothing." I say to myself.

18th June 2017