Mesh (Tohru)

When the damn kid stops bluffing and finally turns tail, I climb back up to my room, bored again.

Fuck, he's dumb as bricks!

I didn't touch Nanako's phone, but the soot-covered snowman did. It's not lying, per se, more like not telling the whole truth...

The skinny blond kid must know what's going on, but it seems like his weird attachment to me is keeping a lid on everything. For now.

I recline on the futon, against the table, unmuting the TV so I can play more Miku. I ran downstairs so quick before I forgot to pause and lost the last level. I click through to retry, the inverse of a snowman floating slightly above the futon in the air next to me, watching me with interest.

"You wanna give it a go?" I ask, not really expecting an answer. When it instead holds up a bag of chocolate-covered potato chips I shrug. "Go for it, little guy."

This one negotiated with me even when I couldn't pay. Take the chips if you'll stay happy.

The only one who is happy with me right now.

"Hee hoo~!" it chatters and opens the bag.

I give up on the game before it's even loaded. I toss the controller on the coffee table and turn to the small, puffy demon. He's happily stuffing chip after chip into his cartoon-y mouth, giggling like they're the best food in the universe. I don't disagree.

When there are no more chips, he just stares at the bag blankly.

That is disappointing...

"Want some soda?" I curiously ask it. When the smile reappears, I hand over a mostly-empty bottle of melon soda.

"HEE~" It looks fucking ecstatic!

I watch as the little guy eats it like a jelly doughnut, excitedly surprised when soda squirts out after the metal is rent apart. "I... Guess that's one way. If metal is tasty." I'm at a bit of a loss. People don't often surprise me, but this thing's not a person.

"My friend~" it sings. "Hoo! New companion always gives me food!"

I don't know how long I talk to it and feed it various snacks, but the second I hear the door open, I order it to conceal itself. It turns transparent and leisurely floats out the window. All I have to do is call its name and it'll come back, and I couldn't care less what it does when I don't need it.

I hear its voice even though it's flown off. "Watch your back, hoo! Trial soon! Heee hooooo~"

"You're supposed to be watching my back," I mutter and pick up the controller once more. I restart the same level for a third time.

When I hear sandals slap the steps, I know it's Dojima who's back.

I could literally play the same level every day for years and he wouldn't notice. So as long as it's on, I've been playing for hours as far as he's concerned.

The music's up pretty loud because I was the only one home, but I hear the knock. "Come in," I yell over my own noise.

Dojima opens the door, takes one look at me lazing around undressed and closes it behind himself, groaning. "This is what you've been doing?" he asks.

I nod, keeping my eyes on the screen. Bet he's still angry.

"Where's Nanako? And why aren't you dressed?" Reasonable questions.

I pause the game, and put the controller back on the table. I try to look confused when I turn to him. "Well she went out and it's so hot, so I didn't think it mattered as long as I stayed in here."