Roulette (Ryoutarou)

"Oi!" I kick Tohru through the futon. "How long are you going to sleep for?" I want to do the outdoor work before it gets too hot.

I pull the covers off of his face. Tohru groans and rolls over. I push the toe of my sandal into his hard back. "It's almost eight," I complain. "Nanako left for school a while ago."

Tohru quickly yanks the blanket back over his head. "I cooked for you and it's going to go cold." I feel myself frowning, but I can't help my annoyance. I want to make the most of our time before it's back to work.

"Give me a minute!" Tohru whines, curling up into a ball. "It's so bright Ryoutarou!"

I feel a smile coming on when he uses my name, but it's not enough for me to let him sleep all day. If anything, it just makes me want him up more. "C'mon," I protest, squatting to yank the blanket all the way off him. "I lived with two kids and neither was this bratty!"

I playfully poke Tohru in the side. "Oww!" he moans. "Ryoutarouuuu!" He flails his feet that are still trapped under the covers. A snort escapes me as I try to stifle more laughter.

"Why's my pain so funny?" Tohru asks, peering out at me.

"It's—" I start, but clamp my mouth shut before I can say 'cute'. I feel heat in my face. That'd be too much, and likely not appreciated. I roll my eyes instead. "That doesn't hurt and you know it."

I sigh and sink to a sit. "I missed you."

Tohru looks puzzled, and completely disheveled. I'm happy his hair is shorter again, but the way it sticks up after he sleeps is downright ridiculous. "I was just sleeping," he mutters distrustfully.

"I'm being impatient," I admit. "I only have a few more days off."

"Okay," Tohru huffs. He throws off the blanket and reaches up for me. He yanks on my shirt, pulling me down to him.

I don't want to rebuff his pleas for closeness, but we had a plan for the day. So when he pulls me to him, I let him kiss me some, but then jump back up.

"Let's go!" I declare. "You said you were going to help me with the yard work."

Tohru lets out an overdramatic, strangled cry and kicks my shin. "Cut it out," I roll my eyes again, exasperated.

He sits up, looking a little more alert. "Let's do something else," he suggests, circling his arms around me. I shake my head.

"Yard work. If I have off-time the grass needs cutting. The bushes and garden need attention."

"I need attention!" he howls.

"Touch me and I punch you." I raise a balled fist.

I stop.

Starting over... Right.

"You're not going to goad me into losing it," I tell him. "Now get up."

"Are you sure?" Tohru smiles innocently.

I bend down and grab the back of his head to bonk it into my own. He yips in pain and holds his hand to the spot. "Nope. Move."

Tohru groans and stands up. I move to the door and pull him after me, laughing. He glares warily, jutting out his lip like he's going to get angry.

I can't stop laughing so I ruffle his hair and hug him.

I take out a cigarette and walk past his room. "Put on something you don't like. It'll probably get dirty." I fish for my matches and head for the stairs, but Tohru's next to me in a flash. "Hmm?"