Chapter 7

Zoey POV Continued....

By the time November rolled around, Chase and Lola were inseparable. They were constantly holding hands and I swear I once saw them rubbing their noses together between classes.

I tried desperately to not be bitter. It wasn’t that I wanted a boyfriend, but I couldn’t help feel a slight sting when they didn’t want me around. Instead of being a necessity, I was a hindrance. Anytime I asked one of them to do something, they already had plans with each other. And I wasn’t included.

Sometimes I even wished they would break up. But then I figured that would make things even worse. What if I was forced to pick sides?

There was no way for me to get things back to normal.

So instead I spent more time with Quinn. “They’re getting pretty serious, huh?” Quinn asked me as we waited in line to see a movie the week before winter break, just the two of us.

 “They’re getting pretty serious, huh?” Quinn asked me as we waited in line to see a movie the week before winter break, just the two of us

“Yeah.” I was also getting tired of having to be the happy couple’s spokesperson.

Quinn hesitated a second. “Don’t you think …” She looked around to make sure we didn’t know anybody. “Don’t you think Lola’s kind of slipped away a bit? I mean, I know she wants to spend time with her boyfriend. Duh. But she’s never strayed this far from us. It’s a bit much, you know?”

Yes, I did know. And times that by two for me. The only reason I still saw Chase on Wednesdays was that Lola had Drama Club practice.

“It is a little much.” I only allowed myself to admit it to Quinn.

“Although, let’s be honest, you’ll probably have to remind me of this conversation when I finally get a boyfriend,” she said dryly.

I tried to give her an understanding nod, although that just wasn’t one of my priorities.

“Speak of the devils.” I followed Quinn’s gaze to the concession stand, where Chase had his arm draped around Lola. She leaned into his side and laughed at something he was saying.