Chapter 10

Chase POV continued

"This is the greatest, thank you!” She flung her arms around me. “You can have as many meals as you want, whenever!”

 “You can have as many meals as you want, whenever!”

“I’d like that in writing, please.”

Her head fell back again as she laughed and, I kid you not, my heart actually soared.

“So.” I started playing with her hair, which changed color depending on the season, like a tree. Before I left to California, her hair was kinda-Blondish, Brownish. Now that I'm back her hair was a little more blondish, and her hair tips were more darker than usual. “Tell me everything. How was New Year’s?”

The smile quickly vanished from her face

The smile quickly vanished from her face. I should’ve known better to keep bringing up something that reminded her of her mom. “It was good,” she said. “Um, when are you seeing Lola?”

I checked the clock. “I told her my flight got in right about now, so I should call her soon.”

“Yeah, you should call her. I know she really wants to see you.”

This was why Zoey was the greatest friend in the world. I hadn’t seen her in ten days, yet she wanted to be sure I saw my girlfriend.

“Do you want to come with me to see her?” I wasn’t ready to say good-bye to Zoey just yet.

She shook her head. “No, you guys should have some alone time.”

“Come here.” I gave her a huge hug. “You’re the best. You know that, right?”

She gave me a meek smile. I didn’t want to leave, because there was clearly something wrong. But maybe what she needed was some time alone. She was trying to get me out of the room fast enough.

“So are you.” Her eyes were so sad.

While I walked the seven blocks to Lola’s house, I couldn’t get Zoey out of my mind.

My best friend needed me and I was going to figure out what to do to help her.

But first I had to see my awesome girlfriend.