Chapter 9

Zoey POV

Vince said the smartest thing he could at a time like this. “I’m going to head downstairs.”

Lola and I were silent after he left. Only the sound of laughter from the oblivious adults could be heard.

Lola finally spoke. “I know.”

“You know?”

“I was stupid, it’s just … it’s New Year’s Eve. I’m at a party. Is it so wrong that I wanted to have some fun?” She sank back onto my bed and put her head in her hands. “You can’t tell Chase”

I couldn’t think of a response. I was so shocked at how quickly the evening had changed.

 I was so shocked at how quickly the evening had changed

She finally looked at me. “Can you please say something? Anything?”

I was afraid to open my mouth because I had no idea what would come out. Eventually, I couldn’t take it anymore. “How could you?”

Lola shook her head. “I don’t know. I mean, you know I used to like Vince And we were flirting while we were playing, and I think he’s cute. You know I used to like him.”

“You have a boyfriend. And need I remind you that he’s my best friend.”

“I thought I was your best friend.”

“You both are.” But in that instant I certainly felt closer to Chase.

“Chase’s great. But he’s not here.” Lola sank back on my bed, her feet dangling toward the floor. It was a position we’d both been in often. A physical position. This awkward emotional position I was currently in was a first. And not one I cared to repeat.

“So that makes it okay?” I asked.

“No, it doesn’t.” I was relieved that this was her answer. “I’m confused, that’s all.”

“About what?”

“Everything.” She started to tear up. “I’m getting freaked out over next year. I don’t think you realize how much things will change. Everything’s going to change. It already has.”

I sat down next to her so we were both staring up at the glow-in-the-dark stars on my ceiling. “Lola, you’ve got to let this go. You’re not your sister.”

“You know what happened with her. You saw. Trisha had all these friends when she was our age. Then she went to that big school and got lost. She’d come straight home freshman year and go into her bedroom to cry.”

“But your sister’s a lot quieter than you. You’re more outgoing. You’d never be lost. And you have me.” I wanted to add that trying to date the entire male population at our school at the same time wasn’t going to make things better for her, but I knew this wasn’t the time. What she needed was reassurance. “Not everything is going to change.”