Chapter 1

No copyright intended. Characters are used under the Fair Use Act. Gabriel Agreste, Mrs. Agreste, Adrien Agreste, and Master Fu are owned by Zag and Netflix. The story is my own.

            I pushed the door and it opened with a creak. The lamps in his office cast shadows against the walls.

            "Gabriel?"

            He was hunched over his desk. It was cluttered with books and papers covered in nonsensical scribblings. His glasses had fallen down the bridge of his nose. He muttered under his breath appearing not to have heard me.

            "Gabriel," I said louder, "It's one in the morning. Come to bed."

            He looked up from the book he was studying so intently. "It took me 6 months and three trips to find this book. It's the thing that will lead me to the miraculous."

            I opened my mouth but he cut me off, "Don't start with me. I know the miraculous are more than a legend. They're real. I feel it in my bones."

            Gabriel stood and waved his hand, shooing me out of the room, "I'll be up to bed later."

            He sat down again, peering into the pages of the book. He didn't even notice I was still standing there.

            I sighed. Silently, I closed the door and then leaned against it. Gabriel was obsessed. Ever since he had read those books. The ones that mentioned the miraculous and their supernatural powers.

            I wanted to tell him the truth. I thought maybe tonight I could, but tonight only confirmed what I already knew to be true in my heart. Gabriel could never know my secret. Gabriel could never know I held the peacock miraculous.

            I clutched the peacock brooch that was pinned at my neck. Gabriel was like any other person: easily corrupted by power. I had seen it before. That's why I was the only person who had a miraculous.

One by one every other owner had been corrupted until I was the only one left. Every member of my team gone, succumbed to selfish ambitions. Master Fu had taken back every miraculous except for mine and the moth.

It was Master Fu's biggest regret. To assemble a team that would so soon self-destruct for such petty reasons.

No, Gabriel could never know. And I couldn't let him dig into this. I was afraid this book was real. It would lead him straight to me.

Wearily, I trudged up the stairs and opened the door to Adrien's room. He was sleeping peacefully in his cradle. Only nine months old and so perfect. I brushed my hand across his face and smiled.

"Sleep little one." I whispered. "I'm going to fix this problem so we can be a family again."