Chapter 3 - Like Wolverine

Why does that one particular song in your playlist that you don't like anymore always keep coming back while you try really hard to avoid from it? Frustrated, I fished my phone from the pocket of my sweatshirt, determined to delete it from my phone immediately. Since I was well aware of my disability in multitasking, I slowed down my paces and came to halt. I was almost in front of my apartment now. Last minutes of peaceful walking in the chilly night air could not be spent with unwanted songs!

After a minute of readjusting my playlist, I raised my gaze from my phone and froze. As I could see from the distance between me and my apartment, there were three men awaiting at the entrance of the building.

The fear from that night came creeping on me as my head started to spin. What are the chances? I thought trying to calm myself down. It's okay, they are not there for you. They probably waiting for someone. It had been five days since the attack and I was all paranoid. I couldn't sleep, couldn't go out alone. And the first night I did go out, I started to freak out again.

I straightened my back and started to walk again. I tried to find my pocket knife in my pockets but then I remembered that I put it to my bag earlier that morning.

Only an idiot like myself would put a 'pocket' knife into the bag, wouldn't she?

Inconveniences like this won't make me quit. They are just people hanging out in a strangely creepy street. They can't be that guy in your house.

Right?

My inner debate continued as I got closer to the entrance. I was down to 6 meters when one of them started to move. They were all looking in my direction. I felt the sweat forming on my forehead. I positioned the bunch of keys I was holding jutted out between my fingers and balled my fist. Like Wolverine, I thought. One punch, and they are done.

It was hilarious how my anger towards the attacker from days ago has subsided this quickly. When I was in safe, I started to lecture myself about how want to be a strong woman standing for herself, but once I was in slight danger, I was as weak as I could possibly be. I hated myself for feeling that weak.

My steps came to an end when men started to walk towards me. I wasn't breathing as I waited them to walk past by me but they didn't. They were all dressed in suits and had no-bullshit expressions on their face. They stopped three steps from me and the tall guy in the middle started to talk:

"Good evening, miss. We would like you to kindly come with us. There is an important issue to be talked in the police station," with a really professional voice.

"Where are your uniforms then, officer," I asked after trying to clean my throat couple of times to be able to talk with a steady voice. There was no use, of course, my voice was shaking with fear.

None of them answered my question, only stared at me blankly. "I don't see any police car, too," I insisted. This time, without waiting for an answer, I tried to pass them around but man on the right caught my left arm firmly.

"Miss Simmons, that was not a request," he hissed to me. I immediately started to struggle to let myself free but his grip only tightened on my wrist. He started to drag me through a black car and I swing my punch with keys sticking out only to heard a satisfying thud from his chin. The sudden pain made him let go of my wrist and I didn't wait to see the blood. As soon as I turn to run, someone grabbed me from my waist to stop me in my track.

Oh no, not this shit again.

I started to scream and fight against his grip on my body. Another man came to face me and swung a hard pun ch right into my stomach. A horrible voice escaped from my mouth. That was the guy I punched earlier. Then, he gripped my hair from the back of my head and put his huge hand over my mouth to silence my screams.

"Listen to me, bitch, if you-" he started. The next thing I saw that he was flying backwards. I recovered quickly and started to swing kicks to the man who was holding me. When they didn't work, I changed my strategy and stood still and put my feet to the floor firmly. Then, curving my upper body, I sent my head backwards with all my force and felt it hit a soft surface. With a loud grunt, I was free.

As I ran, my heels were almost bumping to my butt. I put a safe distance between them and only then found the courage to look behind me.

The man that flew out was now flying on the ground lifelessly. The second man and the other was now busy with another man. Where the hell he came from? I thought. He was dressed casually as I could see and was moving swiftly against his opponents. With adrenaline rushing through me, I couldn't follow every move they performed, but I was sure the new guy handled with them successfully. With one perfect kick, the guy knocked down the guy held me earlier.

Now, his attention was dully on the third guy, who I did not have the honor to communicate with in our little encounter. Though, this third guy was better in enduring the fight than the second one. Also, the new guy was wearing out slowly. Both of them seemed to be trained to fight by judging their swift moves and steady punches. The new guy started to have misses than strikes.

I was too afraid to move or, even, breathe. I was now slumped behind a car, shaking uncontrollably. I knew I had to be running far away in that moment, but I couldn't move a muscle. I was stunned as I took in the scene in front of me. Then, my eyes darted to somewhere near the two men fighting. The first guy that has been knocked out. A glint, a metal.

"WATCH OUT," I screamed at the top off my lungs. An ear-tearing sound was echoed in the empty street. At first, no one moved, not a blink. Then, both of the men ascended to the ground.

I waited one breathless minute as waiting for a movement. I peered through the windows of the apartments, where people finally decided to take a look to the sound. Then, from the heap of men lying on the ground, a man arose. With a relief, I realized the casually-dressed guy was alive.

He got up and steady himself. Then, he walked over the guy that took the shot and swung a ruthless kick at his head. I tried so hard to see his face, but somehow, it was shadowed perfectly. Swinging, he took a look at his work, and started to look around. After ten seconds, his eyes were fixed on me.

As he started to walk towards me, I felt the adrenaline has left my body and I drifted into the blackness.

Who's this fellow???
Better be a hottie ;)

I know for sure he'll show up and stick around for long in the next chapter so stay tuned 🖤

Please comment and vote 🖤