Chapter 4 - Even the Villains need a break

I checked the watch again. 8:21. I was crouched down on my bed listening the loud snores of Chew. My mind was in a vague state, where I couldn't sort my thoughts, couldn't function or couldn't shut it down. I was neither asleep nor awake. Whenever I tried to sleep, I failed when I remembered the huge hand closing my mouth not to scream.

Everything about this week felt surreal. The guy from the last night knew about insecticide so I concluded that he was the guy attacked me from six days ago. But why? Even though he had a mysterious -almost dark- side, he didn't seemed to want to harm me. If he were to hurt me, he would easily do that last night.

Maybe he will after learning what the bad guys want from you. Thoughts came creeping to my mind.

Moreover, there were all those information he gave to me last night. That secret project of eight years used on real humans, without their permission and, possibly, knowledge about the consequences. If the government was exposed from doing this, the world would go nuts and collapse. This was unacceptable and twisted from every angle.

What would they possibly want from me? What kind of importance I held for them?

And then, there was him. I realized I don't even know his name. I knew absolute nothing about him. Couldn't see his face properly, either. His voice, though, was deep and confident. His height was around 6'2 with broad shoulders. The very small but delusional and idiot part of my mind whispered 'He was hot tho', but I shooed the idea immediately.

He might saved me last night but he also attacked me six days ago. He was untrustable and apparently dangerous. I recalled what he said about killing those men. There was no time. I remembered the way he fought. The ruthless kick he gave to the man with the gun. He said that he would come back tonight but will I let him? Could I trust him?

I needed to stop thinking. I couldn't handle with my thoughts anymore. What I needed was sleep and someone to take Chew out and make me feel safe while I get some sleep/have a shower/eat something in peace.

As I messaged to James to come over, I decided to not to mention about the last night's incidents. Not yet. He probably would laugh at me anyway. Instead, he'd just think that my sleeplessness is the result of the the attack from six days ago.

***
Since I instructed James not to leave until I fell asleep, I wasn't surprised when I couldn't find him in the house. On Saturday nights, he is working in a shelter. He offered to stay for the night if I was feeling unsafe but I told him that he shouldn't skip work and that I would be okay after a good sleep.

I wasn't wrong, though. I felt a lot calmer and stable. I could think straight for the first time in the entire sleepless week. But now, all of that felt distant, like none of it actually happened to me. For a second, I doubt last night's reality. Could it be just a dream? Am I losing my mind?

I decided to take a look in the mirror to see the damage. My dark brown hair was tangled and loose curls were spread lifelessly on my shoulders. With a skin a lot paler than usual, my face looked sunken. The ugly bruise from Sunday evening created an impressive contrast against my skin. My eyes looked lifeless, too, they were lighter than the usual. Lifting my shirt, I gazed at the horrible bruise covering the quarter of my tummy.

For a moment, I wished I had a family to go and seek care and consolation. Knowing my dad, he would probably accuse me for being outside at night or messing with someone important.

My thoughts were interrupted by the knock on the front door. I froze. Then, I grabbed the knife I kept at my drawer and began to walk to the door. Second knock came after a second. I made no sound until I heard the person at the other side of the door speaking.