Prologue

It's always calm before a storm – everything goes perfectly quiet.

The creak of the door brought Belle out from her trance. Her mates came in walking towards her, as she was seated on the bed.

They gave her smiles but she could tell that they were bringing bad news.

"What is it?"

They both sighed heavily as they sat down on either of her sides, their shoulders slouching.

"The Monarchy pressed for a meeting with Alcmene's officials in two days."

Belle looked down on her hands which were fiddling with one another and whispered. "Do you think they know?"

Luca cupped her chin and directed her face towards him. He didn't speak but his eyes told her the answer.

Belle exhaled in defeat and allowed her mates to embrace her shivering body.

"I... I'm scared."

"Do not worry, bella mia. We are with you." Euan pressed a long, meaningful kiss on her neck.

"Always." Luca added in a whisper.

The time for the meeting with the Monarchy's envoy dawned.

It was Belle's first time to be in their pack's conference room together with the Alpha, Beta, Gamma, together with their mates, as well as the twenty Deltas of Alcmene and the members of its two councils for a private meeting.

They were all seated properly, waiting for the entry of their guests.

Belle was sitting on the chair designated for defendants, her stomach filled with uneasiness. She couldn't help the tapping of her foot against the tiled floor. She looked down on her knees, willing them to stop shaking.

Euan and Luca (well, simply anyone, actually) could sense her anxiety. They, too, if they had to be honest, were worried. More than her even. Nonetheless, they hid their emotions quite well.

The sound of the door opening seemed louder than usual. Belle's foot stilled as she slowly lifted her head. Everyone looked expectantly and eyed the foreigners.

Behind Brent and Carter, who served as ushers to the guests, suffocating strength could be felt. It was a wonder how Brent and Carter maintained straight faces and dignified composures. Just from their auras alone, anyone automatically knew not to mess with them, the Monarchy's envoy.

As the two young men led the way, the footsteps of the unfamiliar persons echoed around the huge room, resonating with the loud beating of Belle's heart inside her chest.

A tall woman led the group. She exuded grace and strength, complimented by her strict clothing and impeccable appearance – crisp black ensemble with her blonde hair tied tightly in a high ponytail.

Not one of the members of the envoy allowed their eyes to wander, but instead they set their compelling gaze directly to the Alpha's direction.

Once greetings and formalities had been done, everyone took their places and the woman, who's name was Alexandrine, stood to state their business.

Alexandrine told the crowd the story of the fallen pack - Fortis Lupos.

Everyone was clearly appalled, not knowing how all of it could be true.

Belle drowned in their eyes. Even without looking, she could feel them on her skin, each pair leaving hot trails of judgements.

"Having said that, Ms. Bea Mireille Wood, you are called upon by the Monarchy." Alexandrine spoke sharply.

Belle wished that her mates were beside her at that very moment. She looked at them and they held her gaze, giving her a little wave of comfort.

'Love, we are with you.' Luca linked to her.

'We will be with you through all of this, bella mia.' Euan said with determination.

However, those promising words were not enough to still her heart which was pounding loudly, wanting to escape her chest, almost deafening.

Belle swallowed - the gesture not subtle and did not go unnoticed by the pairs of eyes directed towards her.

She cleared her throat and spoke loudly. "I understand."