1

chapter 1: hello
song: radioactive by marina & the diamonds
— ✘ —

"This is the place." A man spoke as he opened the front door with ease.
"Do you like it?" He asked with a glint in his eye.

A mother walked inside first before her daughter followed after.
"It's beautiful, Lawrence. Thank you." The woman told him with a bright smile, "Artemis, don't you agree?"

The teenager nodded. "Yeah, mom. I like how it's kind of... near the city. The city's real cool, you know." She noted as she walked around the furnished home.

Artemis Crock silently thanked the interior designer for decorating the home to match her and her mother's wants and needs.

It felt like a home.
It felt like a home Artemis could feel homey in.

Her.
Her parents.
Her sister (Well, her sister's currently away at college, so only when she could make visits.)

"This is a good refresh for all of us." Lawrence Crock boomed aloud, snuggling next to his wife.
Artemis nodded.

"I'll admit though, I do miss Star City." Paula Crock sighed, and the whole family agreed.
"But darling, you and I both know we had to move down here in Gotham for the sake of our jobs." Artemis's father remarked, rubbing her cheek.

After her father's statement, Artemis felt goosebumps crawling her arm.

Gotham City.

So many questions and answers ready to be explored here.

And Artemis fucking loved the adrenaline of adventure.

They reconciled with a hug once more, and their daughter was touched by their love.

Seeing that their daughter was still watching, Paula turned around to look at her.

"Artemis," she began, "Your father and I are going to get out of the house to find some nearby place to pick up some food in a few minutes. Do you have any special requests?" Her mother questioned, but she shrugged.

"I'm good with anything... But I did see a nearby pizza place on our way here, so maybe pizza night?" She suggested.
Her parents exchanged a small look before nodding.

"Whatever you want, baby girl." Her dad chuckled, "You sure you don't want to come with us?"

It was an opportunity for Artemis to look closer at the city if she went with them.

But, she thought, why not just do the exploration herself?

She shook her head at them once more.
"I'm alright. Might just explore the neighborhood. Is that okay?"

They looked at her hesitantly for a moment before slowly giving their approval to her.

"Just... Please be careful out there, Artemis. All three of us don't know how Gotham works just yet. It's almost night time so I want you hopefully back here before we do." Her mother begged and the curious teenager nodded gleefully.
"Thank you, thank you! I promise I won't be out for long!" She promised.

"We know. You never let us down, sweetie." Lawrence smiled.

Artemis waited a few moments after her parents had waved her goodbye and passed her the extra house key before they left to go buy some pizza for tonight's meal.
If her parents had time, her mother said they would go ahead and try to find a nearby grocery store.