✚ Chapter Twelve ✚

Healing Gabriel: Chapter Twelve

                                                         |Evan's POV|

       Shit.

       As if I didn't hate myself already.

       He hated me. I knew it. I saw it in his eyes. I could feel it in the air whenever he was around. He wouldn't talk to me. He wouldn't touch me. He wouldn't let me touch him. Damn it, he wouldn't even acknowledge me when I said something to him. Not even a glance did he bother to shoot my way.

      Was this how he felt when I ignored him for that one month?

       It must be hard for Gabe to stay away from me. I mean, I'm the only one he actually trusts. Or, did trust, at least. I don't know where we stand at the time being.

      "Where has Gabe been?" Jurnee asked me during lunch.

      "Yeah, he usually trails after you like a lost puppy. So, where's he been for the past week?" Slater asked.

      "What are you talking about?" I asked after taking a sip of my water. Yep, my throat was still sore. It didn't seem to be going down, though. I think I have strep, but I don't know for sure. I rarely ever get sick . . . "You two both hate him. Especially you, Jurnee. You were bullying," I said, giving them both a look.

      "Yeah, I know," Jurnee mumbled sheepishly. "But that was because I thought he was a freak. But...then I got to know him, and he's actually okay. I guess I shouldn't judge a book by its cover."

      "Uhh...I don't know," I said, answering her question about Gabe's whereabouts. I risked a quick glance next to me at the spot where Gabriel used to sit. My stomach felt queasy as guilt began to eat at me again, like it had been since Dylan first took me to that damned college party. I wished deeply that I could've had more control over my emotions. It was terribly wrong of me to react that way to Gabriel. He didn't even do anything. All I could remember was the shock, anger, confusion, and then finally sadness that whizzed throughout his gunmetal blue eyes like a never ending storm. My words echoed throughout my head, making myself feel like I didn't deserve to be here.

      I had promised to protect him. I had promised to never hurt him. I had promised many things to him, promises that I thought would have been easy to keep. But they weren't, because in the end, I didn't protect him. I had hurt him (emotionally, that is.) And each time I saw him, my heart lurched and my stomach made knots. I despised myself for being so damn awful to him. I shouldn't have done that. I shouldn't have even went to school today. I should've stayed home and slept the dreadful hangover off.

      "What do you mean, 'I don't know'?" Alana asked. "Did you guys get into a fight or something?"

       "I guess so. I don't know, maybe. Why do you guys even care?" I asked, my voice sounding a bit snappish at the end.

      "Calm your balls, bro. Jeez. Your mood has been really sour lately," Axel said in a low tone.

      "Agree," Slater said, taking a sip of his Pepsi.

      "Sorry, I didn't know I had to be smiling and cheerful 24/7," I replied in an obviously annoyed voice.

      "We never said you had to. It's just, you've been really mad and easily aggravated lately. Is something wrong? How bad of a fight did you and Gabriel get in? He's also been looking highly upset lately, too," Jurnee said.