Chapter 4

The small town that had been liberated by the Basterds was alive with celebrations. Soldiers littered the area, a majority of them with a girl they would most likely have a one night stand with.

Inside of the town pub sat Aldo playing a round of poker, Donny with Amber sat on his lap also playing, Jane, who was sharpening her knife, and Hugo who was sat off to the side guarding a few of the hostages.

"And I win again." Aldo declared cockily, moving all the money in the middle of the table to his chest.

Amber giggled as Donny whispered something to her. Aldo looked at the pair before smiling.

"What's the story with you two?"

"We're childhood friends." Donny stated as if everyone knew that. "We lost contact before the war."

"I went to work in communications and ended in the middle of a Nazi occupied town."

"And she said she'd kiss me if we saw each other again."

A loud laugh caused everyone to fall silent and look to the source: Jane. She was sat on a table away from them sharpening her knife, as mentioned before, and at that moment she was laughing abnormally hard.

"What's so funny?!" Donny asked in his obnoxious accent.

"That you schnitzel loving mother fucker can pull that." The woman laughed harder. Nobody else was.

"I don't know what you just said, but if it was-"

"Excuse me, miss..?" Amber suddenly cut Donny off, surprising the entire table.

Aldo gave her a look that signaled 'don't'.

"I'm the Two Toned German. I'm no miss-"

"Well, miss 'Two Toned German', with all due respect you need to stay in your own business."

"Well," Jane slowly stood and Aldo pulled his chair out ever so slightly in response. Hugo was eeady to spring into action if things turned sour, "I don't know and I don't really give a shit where you come from. But here in Germany, it's custom to joke about one another's personal business. If you think adding 'with all due respect' is going to lighten your chickenshit insult, you're thoroughly mistaken. Now, there's about seven feet, a table and a man blocking me from coming over and stabbing you through the neck." Everyone stared at the woman in disbelief, even those who didn't speak German. Hugo was highly amused by her words and threat, though his expression said otherwise.

"Before you decide to piss on my parade, keep that in mind. Unless you want to say goodbye to this place, I'd recommend that Donny stop you saying anything else."

She sat back down and rolled up her sleeves before resuming to sharpening her knife. Brown eyes glanced to Hugo, who was staring at her, before she paid him no attention.

Aldo looked to Amber, who looked like she had just seen a goddamn ghost of some famous person. It wasn't amazement, it was complete shock and fear.

"... right." Donny stated, finally, after a minute of nothing but the sound of Jane sharpening her blade. "... as I was saying, she owes me a kiss."

Everything began to start up again, although very, very slowly.

Amber rolled her amber eyes, sighing in mock annoyance. She reached up and planted a kiss to Donny's cheek. Everyone on the table laughed.

"What?! That's bullshit!" Donny protested over their laughter. He grew sour, a frown on his face.

As The Bear Jew reached for his cards, which were face down on the table, Amber quickly wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him down into a proper kiss.

Jane shook her head as she glanced over, quickly looking back to what she was doing a moment too late. She blinked. She had just cut herself. A genuine debate took place in her head in regards to if she should get a tissue or carry on. She carried on.

Once again the brunette paused, eyes falling onto her green jacket. Specks of blood were at the bottom, and no doubt the sleeves, too. She flagged over the bartender who cautiously approached her table.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, I don't serve Nazi-"

The bartender was cut off by Jane stabbing her knife through the sleeve of his shirt, pinning him to the table next to her.

"Do you think a Nazi would be sitting with a knife, freely drinking? Do you think I'd even be alive? Now, I want a wet rag and a refill," She paused, picking up her glass and downing the whiskey inside, "Of your English whiskey. Is that possible?"

The man blinked before nodding. Once the knife was yanked from his sleeve, the man stumbled off to the bar.

"Hey, and I win! You're good luck." Donny declared, placing a kiss to Amber's temple.

Amber giggled, playfully pushing Donny away. Jane reached into her back pocket and dug around, pulling out a cigar. She removed a match box from her pocket and struck one in order to light it.

Just glancing at Donny and Amber was enough to make her mood sour all together. She puffed out some thick smoke and glanced to her hand. A small puddle of crimson was beginning to form from under the cut. Maybe it was worse than she thought.

The bartender placed the rag next to her knife and quickly refilled her glass. He hurried over to Aldo, whispered something, and then disappeared back to the bar.

Jane picked up the rag and began to nonchalantly remove the blood stains. It was working surprisingly well considering the type of fabric her uniform was.

"No." Donny stated a bit too loudly, pulling Amber back down to his lap. "You'll get killed."

"What? By my missy Jane over here?" Aldo asked, trying to play off her earlier antics.

Amber mutterd obscenities under her breath. Jane paid no attention, in fact she chuckled. She placed the rag down, deciding to clean her sleeves later. She stood, placing her knife back onto her belt, picking up her glass before she began to walk out.

"I'm going to have a look at the trucks outside." A declaration that was noted by 'good luck' here and there.