Chapter 6

There was an angered air about Jane as she worked, brows furrowed in utter anger, confusion, and frustration. She was so close to giving up, the mere thought of walking to the next radio post a happy one compared to the hell of the truck. For the last time, she decided, she wiped her hands of oil, ignored Hugo's gaze, and strode to the open door of the vehicle, getting inside in order to attempt yet another start up of the truck.

One click.

Two clicks.

Three clicks.

Four clicks.

Fi-

"Fucking finally!" A loud exclamation of proudness, exhaustion lacing her words, as the engine roard to life.

Hugo glanced to the still open bonnet before back to the woman, giving her a small clap and chuckle. He watched as everything grew silent and she emerged, slamming the door shut before making her way to the front, picking up the cloth that hung loosely on the grill. She stood on her tip toes, arm extended for the bonnet, falling back onto her feet as Hugo closed it for her with ease.

Jane's brown eyes looked up to the sky, happy gaze falling as streaks of orange and burgandy swept the dull blue. Aldo would be moving out anytime now, claiming that 'you could cover more ground when you start early'. She swore, though, along with many others (Donnie included) that Aldo just wanted to kill them. The fact they were going early wasn't the problem at that point in time; it was the fact she was completely exhausted. Hugo was exhausted just from watching her the entire night, but realistically he was just tired. Extremely tired, and trust me when I say Hugo and tiredness don't mix well.

"Expert engineer?" He stated after a moment of silence.

The woman slowly looked to him, gaze hostile yet neutral all the same. She didn't reply, head looking up to the sky once more.

"Unbelievable that you'd be worth so much."

"It's unbelievable that you're alive, and not in Hitler knows where being made an example of."

He grew noticeably less upbeat (which wasn't much, anyway) at her words.

"I know what they were going to do. What they did." Her brown eyes found his. "And as I said, it's unbelievable."

His jaw clenched, a method to contain his seething rage.

"Next time think about what you say."

"Are you threatening me?" He asked, voice suddenly low and unfamiliar with utter rage and... something else unheard of from him. "A superior officer?"

"You are not my superior offi-"

"Attention!" A familiar, slightly gruff voice yelled from the side, knowing full well that Jane would react appropriately. She did, of course, suddenly standing at attention, the rag in her hand dropping to the floor in a clump. "You two ain't fighting, are you?" Before any of the two could answer, he continued. "Of course you are. Since when are you not getting at each other's throats? Look, do me a favour and drop this right now."

"He-"

"Did I ask you to talk?" Aldo asked, standing beside her.

"Does it matter?"

His blank stare returned, "You best work on that." He glanced to Hugo and then back to her. "Is the truck fixed?"

"Yes." She declared proudly.

"Yes what?"

She gave him a death stare, "Yes sir."

"Good." He grinned. Before he could say anything else, Jane mumbled under her breath.