Chapter 8

~Earlier That Morning~

"I've been thinking on how to approach this... problem. It's been hard, but I think it's best if only high ranking officers know about Jane missing. I don't want sergeants or privates thinking they can do something by shooting her up."

"But Fuhrer-"

"No 'but's, colonel!" The Jew hating man reached over to his phone and pressed a button, "Kliest?"

"Yes, my Fuhrer?"

"I want this relayed to all the German high ranking officers in France: Jane is missing. If found, neutralise all threats and return her to me alive! Under no circumstances is she to be harmed! And nothing is to be said to anyone under their command!"

"Right away, my Fuhrer!"

~

"Understood." The German first class Lieutenant, named Vladof Hundchen, placed down the receiver and his icy blue eyes looked over to the door in thought. Picking up his cap, he strode to where he looked. "Sgt. Schultz?"

"Sir?"

"Place guards at the gates and have everyone alert for anything suspicious."

"Yes, sir." Sgt. Schultz, a middle aged man with a grey beard, nodded and strode out.

~ Back To The Basterds~

His brown eyes squinted in the sudden harsh light as he stepped off of the truck, arms raised above his head, unfaltering even at the large step down. He was the last out due to where he sat, and that meant he was the focus of everyone's gaze. Well, almost everyone. As he looked to his right, he was greeted with Nikita getting struck to the ground while Amber watched in complete shock and confusion.

"What are you doing?! She didn't do anything!" Amber protested.

"She didn't stop you from saying anything, and as a soldier, it's more appropriate to hit her instead of you."

"What?!"

"What in the hell did you do that for?!" Aldo asked defensively, genuinely enraged at the German who had just struck one of those under his command.

"Shut up and walk." Lt. Hundchen commanded, gun gesturing to in front of him.

Aldo bit his tongue and walked stopping as he was gestured to do so.

"Isn't this my luck? Jane HampBurg." Vladof grinned widely, practically seeing himself with Hitler already. "Come here."

The woman simply blinked at him, arms raised above her head as a way to show she meant no harm.

"I'll give you one more chance, Sergeant. Come. Here."

This time Jane waited a moment or two before flipping the double bird, wide smile spreading across her face as the captured Basterds laughed, Aldo included. Vladof smiled and nodded as he walked over, grabbing a fistful of her hair before striding back to infront of The Apache, shoving her forward.

"I apologise for my roughness, miss HampBurg. But I fear the worst for your safety."

"Can we cut the crap?" Aldo asked, glancing over to Nikita, who was staring down in order to hide the blossom of red at her nose.

Amber looked to Donny, who also looked to her, and in one look, they said the three words that they had never said in person. The fact that they were surrounded by Nazis, at their non-existant mercy with their reputation as The Basterds and most likely not getting out alive, had sunken in. At the same time, however, there was hope and a joint idea.