Chapter 1: First Drifts

--

--

"Don't you wanna stay here a little while?"  Thomas' iPhone played country music as he stared at the ceiling of his room, arms laying out, daydreaming.

"Thomas." His father said, standing in his doorway.

"Someone is here to wish you a happy birthday."

"Who?" Thomas asked, turning down the music.

"Your uncle Ryosuke." David said, walking away.

Thomas shot up from his bed, running to Ryosuke Takahashi and hugging him.

"Uncle!!"

Ryosuke chuckled, "You know I'm not your actual uncle right? It's been 16 years! Well, as of today."

"You act like an uncle. But you drove all the way from Gunma to see me?"

"This is important enough to drive farther than Saitama. Come with me, I have something I wanted to show you." Ryosuke said, putting his hand over Thomas' shoulder.

"Hey David, I'm going to take your son here for a little drive, you mind?"

David smiled, knowing where Ryosuke was taking him, "Sure."

--

"This Prius is old." Thomas said sitting in its passenger seat, "What is it, a '97 or a '98 model?"

Ryosuke turned on the engine and gunned the Prius out of the driveway.

"Its a '98 model. I got it cheap, and it runs fine, so I'm all right with driving it."

--

Ryosuke reached his destination, a tiny garage in the middle of the city.

Thomas looked at Ryosuke as he drew a key and unlocked the roll up door to the garage.

There was a car covered by a tan brown sheet, covered in dust.

Ryosuke gripped the cover and threw it off, revealing a shiny crystal white FC3S.

"Whoa... An RX-7? Awesome!" Thomas said kneeling to admire it.

"I redid her paint job, made sure all of her systems were running fine. She's been sitting in here for 17 years, good as new."

"Damn," Thomas said looking at her hood, seeing his reflection glare back at him, "This car looks nice."

"It runs perfectly, her twin turbines are working well. She only has...96K km on her. Which is precisely why I kept her in here, so she'd be at top notch performance when I gave it to you." Ryosuke explained.

Thomas' eyes widened, "You're giving her to me?"

"Yes. I mean I did keep her in storage for 17 years for you, the least you could do Thomas is take it."

"Hell yeah I'll take this car, can I see her interior?"

"Sure." Ryosuke drew the keys from his pocket and hopped in the drivers seat on the right side, letting Thomas enter next to him.

Thomas whistled, "These bucket seats are comfortable, are these racing class?"

"Yup, the car runs like it did when I became the fastest in Kanto." Ryosuke said.

"You became the fastest in Kanto?" Thomas asked.

Ryosuke nodded, "I actually beat your dad with this car. On Mount Akina really."

"You beat my dad?"

"Uh-huh, and a whole lot of other people too."

"When was your first victory?" Thomas asked.