Chapter Five - Always Something

"Now what should we do about this party?" I ask looking for any suggestions as we sit under the warming sun on the sand "It'll last all day from morning to midnight, guests will start arriving at eight thirty a.m and will leave the next morning, they'll be sleeping in tents provided by us or in their own campervans."

"So ideas, themes, activities and obviously it'll be on the beach."

"What about a masquerade?" Morgan one of our besties suggests

"Nah that's been done several times in the past and plus the King and Queen's ball is usually a masquerade," Kassidy informs

"What about a floral party?" Genevieve asks

"I don't think that would appeal to men we need it to be a gender neutral party." I sigh "Plus we'd have to get a lot of flowers."

"What about a club like a party, lots of music, dr-" Kassidy starts

"Kassidy we're going to have children there." I laugh pointing at the kids playing in the ocean with Kent.

"Fine."

"What if it was just a normal epic party? Shiane adds messing with her black curly hair "Picnics, surfing, volleyball, beach soccer, swimming, snorkelling, dancing and stuff like that during the day but them at night firefly lit jars, fairy lights, formal meal, lanterns, formal party and then after most kids bedtimes make it like a disco party on the beach. That way it has multiple different types of parties and the formal party isn't like a suit and tie formal just casual."

"So there are three different types of parties but they're not over the top and overly themed like a dress-up party or something crazy like that," Shiane adds further trying to explain it a bit more.

"I like that idea."

"Yeah that's a very good idea, I think that is the best, sensible and nice and simple choice," I state thankfully to Shiane

Looking over at the kids I see they have successfully tackled Kent to the ground as they try to keep him pinned down. The sight makes me chuckle lightly. Kent has always had a soft spot for the kids. He and Taya are almost always our babysitters. Elliot and Aiden pin down each of his arms, Reigna holds down one of his legs with Austin and Thomas while his four-year-old blonde haired daughter Gabriella sits on his chest playing with his face.

Abruptly standing from my overly comfortable beach chair I start to walk over to the kids and the damsel in distress.

"I think I need to be the knight and Shining armour and save the King, would his Queen be inclined to help," I say over the shoulder teasingly as I hear Taya's small giggle as she stands up from her seat to join.

Her auburn hair bounces on her tanned shoulders. She looks stunning in her outfit. Lace off the shoulder crop top, red summer patterned shorts, daisy flower crown and gold flower thong sandals. In stories, you hear that mates are quite possessive no matter who they are, but with most mates, I have met it is not the case, they're openminded, understanding and respectful of one another's opinions, likes and dislikes. Mates are quite a lot like dating and marriage except your mate is meant for you. But some do reject their other half to be with another. Like my own mate. 

I now realized why he never marked me, he wanted to be with someone else yet what confuses me is that the love we had seemed so real. Is it possible to love multiple people in that way? Yes, you can love your friends and family but what about relationship love. That has always confused me. Or does he not like her and it's an arranged marriage? Or was it all a lie? He said he loved her.  Either way, I sort of forgive him but I do hate him with passion even though he's a wonderful person. He lied, hurt me physically and mentally as well as hurt my children. But he's happy and that's what matters. If you love someone enough you should be able to let them go so at least they can be happy even though it is sad and heart shattering but what does it matter my heart shattered long ago. But I know it's being stitched back together every day, with the help of this pack, my friends, my family and most of all my children. But as the saying goes 'Once something is shattered it's hard to pick up all the pieces and put it back together correctly'.

"Sam is everything alright?" Taya asks her bright blue eyes looking straight into mine

"Yeah, I'm just thinking of things that should really stay in the past."

"Oh, those things. Well you know pushing them back doesn't help you should remember them, they teach you and sooner or later you're going to have to face them again at this party ya know." Taya reassures "And there's nothing wrong with that, just take it in stride and confidently. Whether you treat them coldly or warmly is up to you."

"Yep, I know." I sigh as my bare feet dig into the sand " But thank you Taya for your concern and advise."

"Always a pleasure." She smiles gratefully as we arrive at the battle kids vs the Alpha a battle that has last thirty or so minutes. 

We just stare as they tackle Kent to the ground.

"So what's going on here."

"We're trying to make Uncle Kent surrender into giving us Ice scream," Elliot calls out as he does his best to hang onto Kent's flailing leg.

"Is that so?" Taya says looking dead in the eyes of her mate who is now tucking his imaginary tale in between his legs.

"They want a whole box each."

"Now is that so?" I ask the kids but they just giggle at me as Kent stares off into space obviously mind linking someone.

"Well -" I starts

'There are two rogues in our territory they've injured one of the border patrol' Kent sends through mind link 'Take Kassidy and Gamma Rylan with you, I've already messaged them.'

'On it.' I reply before turning around and jogging the other way towards Kassidy whose standing up waiting for me.

'Goddess Damn Rogues.' Kassidy says bitterly through mind link 'Always ruining everything, they think they're so important and innocent.'

'Some are though'

'Yeah but these ones ain't.' Kassidy snorts as we run off the beach.

My bones pop and crack as I shift into my russet brown wolf with green eyes, my clothes morphing into my skin. A snarl on my mouth. And all I can think is. Time to go hunting.