New Beginnings

Dedicated Chapter Song: Heaven Knows - The Pretty Reckless

     "The Fifteenth of December. Finals Week. Damn. Of all topics, I had to get Mythology to write about?" Victoria Damon gnawed on her number 2 pencil, staring at the criteria for her English final. Of all the topics she could've pulled out of that silly little basket, fate decided to play a little joke on her and cause her to pick Mythology as the main topic surrounding her 10 page essay with a PowerPoint presentation.

      All her life she'd grown up forced to learn the stories in the foster homes. She'd been passed around from home to home and was always told the same stories. The stories of Hercules and his mighty gifts, Medusa and her head of snakes, Aphrodite's sovereign beauty, and of all the mystical, magical beasts of the mythological realms.

      If you wanted to conversate with her, she could speak to you in 17 different languages, ranging from English, Chinese, and Japanese to Latin, Lithuanian, and Greek. Take Victoria to a museum, and she could read clearly every single thing there that was inscribed in another language. She was always fun on field trips with the orphanage.

      There was a time when Victoria was a blooming age of 10 years, that the orphanage had gone to the Museum of Natural History. Victoria had grown up around all the stories and legends and myths, that when the tour guide began stating things, she butted in and corrected them. Needless to say, she was never allowed on another trip to the museum after how angry she had left the tour guide.

      Today was no different. Staring at her notebook, she knew this would be one of the easiest projects she'd ever have to do. All she had to do was choose 1 Olympian, 3 demigods, and 2 mythical creatures to make a presentation about. She'd already had that down.

     Her plan was simple. Olympian; Athena. Demigods; Helen of Troy, Bragi, and Bellerophon. Mythical creatures; Chimera and Fenrir aka Fenris. She liked the spin she added into her project by incorporating Norse Mythology into her project, rather than the typical Greek Mythology everyone is used to.

      She had enough time left in her college class to scribble down some more notes based off of pure memory. By the time the class ended, she'd practically wrote a 9 paragraph essay just on the demigods alone. She'd made a mental note to finish up and revise it when she got home.

      Victoria gathered up all of her belongings and left the dull English classroom that always seemed to smell like fresh wood chippings. The community college she attended wasn't the best; she couldn't afford the best. Though, it still provided her with the education she needed to become a historian. If anything, she'd hoped to work with rare artifacts and identify them; learn something from them, even.

      After this final she'd planned to take her winter break in Rome to learn more about their history and to perhaps even do some investigating of her own. Of course, to have been able to afford this she had to work several jobs and even do a few things she wasn't quite proud of. Otherwise all her money for rent and college tuition would leave her penniless for food and other funds.