The Angel's Token

Before Victoria even knew it, it was nightfall

       Before Victoria even knew it, it was nightfall. She had been reading for hours without even quite realising it. The moment she looked at the clock dangling on the wall she jumped from her chair. "Eleven?! No way!" she shouted, her stomach growling in response. She grunted. "I haven't eaten in over 24 hours." her voice grew quiet. "I wonder if there's a café or something open." she shut the book she was reading and placed it back on the shelf. As she did so, a small golden trinket fell out of the binding and clattered onto the ground before her feet.

"Huh? What's this?" she bent down and picked up the shiny metal object. A golden trinket. It was a small locket with a pair of wings carved onto it. Her name was scribbled across the front. "This looks familiar... " she mumbled. She turned in it hand and examined the backside where there happened to be writing in Latin.

'Pro dilectione mea.
Sit semper in corde tuo,
Sammael.'

    Victoria roughly translated it to say "For my love. May I always be in your heart, Sammael". Her eyes widened. "S-Sammael.... Lucifer... My love?!" she shrieked. "That's insane! No- that's ludacris! There's no way!"

      A rapping at the door shook her out of her thinking. "Victoria?" a feminine voice came from the door. "It's Bia. I'm... your sister. Uh... I didn't see you at dinner so I brought you some food." the girl paused. "I know it's hard for you to understand what's going on right now. Trust me, things will be so much easier for you once we remove that block on your mind. I swear it."

Victoria bit her lip and walked over to the door, creaking it open. Bia stood before her, tall and muscular. Unlike Zelos, her hair was a chocolate brown and her eyes were a deep green. On her armor was a symbol of the shield and swords, identifying her into the Battle and War District. Though on her wrist she wore a cuff with a trinket of a fist. Bia; The personification of strength and force.

Bia gasped, staring wide-eyed at her sister. "It is you..." she whispered. "You look so much different, but I'd know your face anywhere, sister." her forest eyes clouded up. Vicky sighed. "I'm sorry...I don't remember you. Not as my sister."

"I know." she lifted a golden platter with a cloche upon it. "I brought you a pheasant to eat. I...  I'm not quite sure what you used to eat on Earth but this is much more hearty, I'm sure." Victoria took the platter hesitantly. "Well, we certainly didn't eat pheasants. Fast food is much more popular." she shrugged. Bia cocked her head, letting some of her straight brown hair cascade over one shoulder.

"Fast food? Is that... food that runs at the speed of light?" she asked, clearly puzzled. Victoria burst out laughing. "What? No! No, it's just food you can buy already made nice and hot instead of making it yourself." she clarified. Bia gaped at her. "Isn't that... lazy?"

"Yep. Which is why many humans are obese. Anywho..." she trailed off, staring at the bird dish. "Looks... delicious."

"It tastes better than it looks. I promise." Bia smiled, though it faded upon seeing the golden trinket Victoria held. "Where did you find that?" her voice went hoarse.

Victoria looked down and examined it. "It fell out of one of the books." she mumbled. "Is this real?" her sister winced and rubbed the back of her neck. "I...  I'm not sure. I just know you never let that thing go when you were younger."

"What do you mean by that?" Victoria slipped the trinket onto her necklace and let it slip underneath her shirt. "I mean you were obsessed with that thing. You wouldn't let anybody touch it or see it. You'd take care of that thing like it was a child."

Victoria smiled ever so slightly. "Hmm... Sounds interesting. Were... Were Lucifer and I... "

"Inseparable." Bia shrugged with a dreamy smile. "You two were perfect together. Like... What was it... Yin and Yang?" she sighed. "I envied you."

"Well... It's not like we're together anymore so don't envy me. I'm an amnesiac skeptic. I still believe I'm sleeping- I mean, I was in love with the freaking Devil! That's insane!"

"But it was the truth. Just because mortals refer to him as a demon, doesn't necessarily mean he is one. He's actually a nice guy....  every other blue moon... " she happened to mumble the last part so Victoria barely heard her.

Vicky looked back at her dinner and out of starvation picked up a fork and knife and began to eat it. "Hm... " she chewed a piece of pheasant. "not bad."

The two of them stayed up until dawn, conversing. They spoke of many things, ranging from the classes at the Academy, to things like puppies and pizza back down on Earth. Eventually Victoria had passed out and Bia had left, just a short few hours before classes start.

As she slept, Victoria repeated all the previous events in her head. The words "it's just a dream" continued to replay in her head like a broken record. She even mumbled them in her sleep. "It's just a dream... it's just a dream... "

Though when she woke up hours later, she let out a loud scream, seeing she was still in the red and gold suite she'd sworn she'd imagined. "There's no way... " her eyes were red and wide with fear. She sat up, frantically looking about the room. "This can't be real..." she hugged her knees. The token on her necklace jingled just by her collarbone, a gleaming reminder that all of this was real. "Oh, gods..."