Chapter 2

That night Barry couldn't quite stop thinking about his new tutor. A part of him, the more dominant part, knew that this was a really bad idea. She was his tutor, not his friend or anything else. She was just helping him get better grades in French and they wouldn't become any more than that. But the smaller and the part that he tried to conceal and push away was telling him that she needed a friend and maybe this could allow him to do that. Become her friend and find out what had been bugging him about her, why she always seemed so lonely and sad?

He could not help but be curious about her and her story when she had so much mystery to her and his mind and heart were begging to know the answers. She was a puzzle, a conundrum that he wanted, no needed, to solve. But on the other hand, she was a complete stranger and most likely not appreciate him prying into her private life. She was tutoring him and that was it, nothing more and nothing less, friendship wasn't a part of the deal and he couldn't afford to lose her as she was his only hope of improving his grades before the end of the year. The stakes were too high and he couldn't risk his grades because of his curiosity.

It didn't help how they had started. With him staring at her and losing his voice and breath at the sight of her beauty. He had spoken to girls who he had viewed as pretty or maybe even beautiful but never like that. He had no idea what it was or what it meant but he did know for sure that tutees shouldn't look at their tutor like that. Their relation to one another was purely professional yet he could not help but stare. She was simply beautiful and there was no way he could truly deny it because he knew that he would be lying.

Luckily for him, she had begun to talk for him which snapped him out of his ogling. Well, at least it semi-snapped him out of it. He found himself not knowing what to be staring at her lips, her eyes, her whole face. Each was beautiful and he found himself having no idea what to do with himself. From the way she spoke, he could tell that she had no idea that he was looking at her like... like that, however, he could tell that Mr Jones had noticed. Every few seconds, he caught the teacher's gaze and saw him watching him with a smirk and an all-knowing look. What he knew, or at least what he thought he knew, Barry wasn't quite sure of.

Perhaps, it was because his mind was all fuzzy and he even felt a little dizzy from just looking at her. There was no room for coherent thoughts as everything was so scattered in that moment and he just couldn't stop staring. He was glued the spot hearing her talk but the words not really registering a few seconds later, he was even a little open-mouthed and he could hear his heartbeat thumping in his chest. 

And it wasn't until a few seconds after she walked out of the room with her bags, the sad look back on her face as he could even hear her take a deep, shaky breath as she walked through the doorway. Suddenly, he came back to his senses and he let out a deep breath, just like her, that he didn't even know that he was holding. It finally dawned on him that they had agreed to meet straight after school in the library tomorrow. 

"Well, this certainly will be interesting," Mr Jones teased as he smirked at him, leaning back in his chair with crossed arms. The comment instantly made Barry flustered and he blushed bright pink and struggled to find words to defend himself after his... first impression of seeing her. Whatever that was. But he simply failed to think of anything believable that he could use when he didn't know what the actual cause of the... incident was. before Mr Jones could make another snarky comment on the issue, he rushed out of the classroom.

And even though he had busied himself with work and other things, he still hadn't been able to stop thinking about what happened. It was only a few moments but they were a few moments so powerful yet scary all at the same time. He found himself craving to see her again, even if it meant embarrassing himself further by staring at her again. Her face had imprinted in his mind and that was stopping him from thinking of anything else. Anyone else.