Chapter 18

The couple were travelling to school for the morning only to collect their exam results. To save money and fuel, Iris was sat in the back third-wheeling them and watching them clutch at each other's hands on the gearstick. There was an awkward silence between them which was only filled by the AC's hum and the radio playing quietly in the background. To make matters worse, the song playing was a rather sappy love song and the couple felt quite awkward listening to it with Iris there. Normally, they would be singing along with the radio like they always did especially when there was a love song so they could sing it to each other. But it would just be weird and awkward if they did that now. 

As soon as they parked the car, Iris shot out with her bag to get away from this situation as quickly as possible. Caitlin looked nervously out of the windows at all of the students who were nearby. She still always felt a little anxious being around the people who hated and tormented her every day. Not to mention, the stress and worry and anxiety from getting her exam results. She needs the good grades to get a scholarship to CCU because otherwise, she wouldn't be able to attend the university at all. The whole situation was daunting as hell. At least, she could take comfort in the fact that she had Barry with her but she knew that he was just as nervous as she was about today. It was a big and extremely important day for them both.

"You ready?" Barry asked, squeezing her hand to comfort her knowing that she was frightened of all of this.

"Yeah... just... just one thing first..." she trailed off and pressed her lips to his for a few moments to give herself and hopefully him too some comfort and courage. "Okay... let's go," she whispered as she pulled away. He nodded and they both left the car and joined hands once again as soon as they were able. Hand in hand, they walked together to the school reception and from there went to the hall where it was packed full of people all getting their results.

Taking one last deep breath, they squeezed each other's hands before making their way to the desk and approaching the woman sitting there with the envelopes containing their results.

"Names?" she asked grumpily, she was obviously already bored of working this job all day long and her eyes turned cold as she looked at Caitlin. 

"Barry Allen and Caitlin Snow," Barry answered for them, squeezing Caitlin's hand once again to comfort her after seeing the way the woman had reacted to Caitlin knowing that she would be upset. 

"You're the prostitute's daughter, going into the family business I suppose," the woman snarled, whilst handing Caitlin her envelope.

"Leave her alone, she's nothing like her mother!" he snapped at her and pulled Caitlin to the side and embracing her tightly after seeing her eyes glass over with tears. "Shhh, don't cry," he hushed whilst rubbing circles on her back. She continued to sob quietly into his neck while he held her to let her emotions out whilst not letting anyone else see or hear her crying. "Caity, please stop crying. You're too beautiful to be crying. Please, Caity,"

"Can we just look at these and get out of here?" she asked, pulling away still teary and sobby whilst wiping away her tears with the back of her hand. He nodded and kissed her forehead before wiping away the last of her tears himself.

They both nervously and cautiously opened their envelopes and pulling out the contents of which. As the read the report card with all their marks on, smiles grew on their faces as they got the perfect grades that they both wanted. It took a few moments of shock but Caitlin realised that she had far outdone the grades she needed for the scholarship to CCU. She squealed and threw her arms around him in happiness and joy.

"Did you get the scholarship?" he asked, lifting her feet off the ground and holding her tightly feeling very pleased and happy with himself and her.