Chapter 1

Chapter One:

“Star… Star…?” Katie asked, tilting her head. “Star are you listening?” She shook his arm lightly, jolting him from his doze. He sat up quickly, looked around, and then settled down once Katie rested a hand on his shoulder.

Star let out a sigh and put his hands behind his head. “I’m sorry. What were you-“

Star was cut off by a gunshot followed by a scream. He and Katie jumped to their feet, whipping around. Soldiers stood, holding guns, faces hardened with anger. A younger male off to the side tossed a teen aside, blood dripping from a wound. “Shit,” Star mumbled, backing away.

“Alright, hands where we can see them,” One of the soldiers growled, aiming his gun at the two teens. Katie raised her hands slowly. Star reached for his bag that still lay in the grass. “No.” The soldier growled, snatching the bag away. He tossed it to another man.

Star smirked. “Suit yourself…” He shoved his hand into his back pocket and immediately the area was filled with a sickening smoke. “Run Katie!” Star called over the yelling of the men. Katie nodded, even though she knew he couldn’t see and ran. She burst through the cloud, stumbling a bit and picking up her pace. Star quickly followed her, urging her on.

The two made there way out of the grassy area, sprinting through the clean streets of the town now. Heads turned and folks whispered. Guards and men in uniforms eyed the two carefully. Star gave Katie a shove into an alleyway, stopping to catch his breath.

Katie chewed on her lip, watching people walk past. A few glanced over in their direction, but ignored their tattered and muddied clothes and kept on their way. Both teens let out a sigh, backing further into the darkness. Katie whiped her forehead and glanced backwards.

“We can get back to the base from here,” Star whispered to her.

Katie nodded and let him lead her down the alley. She gripped his arm and looked around nervously. The small necklace around his neck jingled against the chains he wore.

Star led her to a small run down looking building. The windows were shattered or boarded up and ivy crept up the walls. The concrete steps were cracked with plants beginning to grow out of them. The building was made of brick and was five stories tall. Much to their dismay, guards surrounded the front door, looking around.

“Shit,” Katie mumbled. “Do you think the backup is ok?” Star shrugged in reply.

“Only one way to find out. Come on,” He nudged her back, letting her lead the way that time.

~~~