Chapter 2

Chapter Two:

Katie looked across the long table at all the faces before her. She set down the plate of break and fruit she had been carrying. “I guess we should thank mark for actually being able to work,” She chuckled. A few other laughs followed.

Katie and Mark began to split the bread and fruit amongst the others. She handed the new boy (Evan, she’d been told) a few slices and smiled. He looked down at the table, then across at Sarah. Katie followed his gaze and smiled.

Evan and Sarah had talked for hours the day before, both looking happier than they had earlier. Sarah had laughed and smiled without forcing anything. They had whispered together until everyone was asleep, and now both looked brighter. The sunken and sad look in Sarah’s face was gone, and Evan interacted with everyone.

After everyone had finished their food Katie stood. All eyes turned to her. She forced a smile, but frowned instead. “I have an announcement to make,” She began. “We will have to be moving. Mark has seen the soldiers and guard moving in our direction, and they’re clearly still after us.” Everyone stared in a shocked silence, as the guards had never gone out of their way to catch them until now.

“Where will we go?” A male voice called. Everyone turned towards Evan at that moment.

“Out west. Out of the city. Anywhere but here. And we’re leaving tonight,” Katie said. Evan nodded and went back to staring at the table.

Whispers broke out in the group of teens. Everyone glanced around, shocked and frightened. Katie chewed on her lip and turned towards Mark. He shrugged, and motioned towards the small bit of belongings each person had in the other room. Katie sighed and nodded, slowly going to pick them up.

Mark turned back to the table and frowned. The only calm ones of the group were Evan, Helaku, and Sarah. Even the new boy, Star, was joining in the fretting.

Star looked to be the most battered of all. He hair was ragged and his clothes torn. Mark couldn’t tell what color his skin was from all the grime. His eyes had bags under them and all his emotions showed looked lifeless, with no energy. Everything he did looked forced.

Mark strode over to him, resting a hand on his shoulder. Star looked up, his eyes wet. He opened and closed his mouth, trying to form words. Sadness filled Mark’s eyes.

“I miss her… I miss him… I miss everyone…” Star mumbled. “I wish I had known. Maybe then I wouldn’t have left, you know? Do you ever regret leaving?” He stared up at the older boy with huge, round eyes.