Chapter 10: Wilting Flowers

Sanaya's P.O.V:

I stared at the man in disbelief. How could he? And to think that I'd actually been worried about him!

But he couldn't be that hurt if he could bang a nurse while he was hospitalized, after getting shot only two days ago.

I moved back from the curtains of the cabin and strode out the door, slamming it shut in the process. It got me a good few glared from the nursing staff in the corridor, but at least I was satisfied Mr. Eustis would be able to hear it loud and clear.

Dumping the flowers I'd bought for him in a trash can just outside the door to Lancelin's room, I walked as fast as my legs would take me without having to run. I'd nearly made it to the exit to the Hospital when I heard someone calling my name. Ace!

Trying my best to regain my composure, I turned towards Ace with a smile on my face, but from the way his smile disappeared as he neared me, I'd say I wasn't doing that great a job at smiling. "You're angry? What did my brother do this time?" Looks like he wasn't as unaware of Lancelin's shortcomings as everyone thought he was.

"No." I shook my head. "He did absolutely nothing other than just be himself."

"Oh boy!" He looked apologetic. "I'm really sorry for whatever he did, Sana. I hope he hasn't done something to hurt you."

"Hurt me? No! But do give him a pat on the back when his wound's reopen after he's done fucking that nurse!" I sneered, surprising myself. And by the look on Acelin's face, he was just as taken aback as I was with my sudden outburst. Seriously, what was wrong with me? "I'm sorry! I didn't mean to snap at you."

"No apologies required." Ace gave me a reassuring smile. "I'm glad that you're worried about my brother. Very few people do that, worry about him, I mean."

"But you worry," I told him. And it was true, even before I'd come to work with Lancelin, I've seen how Ace worries about his brother. He even went behind his back to ask Lance's employee's to look after him. Too bad his worries are wasted on a person who doesn't deserve them.

"I worry because it's my duty. He's my brother and I know he worries about me just as much, if not more. He just doesn't know how to show it." I highly doubted that, but for Ace's sake, I agreed with him.

"I'll be off now. It was nice meeting you, Ace." I told him as I backed away. "And don't forget to knock on the door before you entre."

"Will do." Acelin waved me goodbye before he turned and left in the direction I came from. Not having anything else to do, I decided to head back to HQ in case there are any important calls to be received.

Lancelin's P.O.V:

"Should you be up and about already?"

I didn't need to look behind me to know when he'd entered the room or when he'd snuck up behind me. But I was surprised when he placed a bouquet of multicolored Carnation's in a glass on my bedside table, making sure he didn't accidentally touch any of the flowers. "You got me flowers?" I turned to face him with my back towards the window.

"Of course not!" He snorted. "Sana brought them for you, but then she saw you with the Nurse and dumped them in a trash can on her way out."

"You picked them out of a trash can?" I didn't like the familiarity with which he called her Sana, but I let it go so he didn't guess my mood.

"No!" He frowned. "She forgot to open the lid before she threw it. And they were so pretty that I didn't want them to be thrown away in the garbage...yet."

Acelin knew I hated flowers. But that doesn't mean I was about to throw these away. Sanaya had brought them for me personally, she'd been worried, and her worry needs to be remembered. However long it lasts. "Anything on the shooter?"

"No." Acelin's eyes darkened until they were the color of blood. "And it worries me deeply. I can't exactly point out what at the moment, but this attack wasn't just some rival company trying to get rid of competition."

"I figured as much." I told him. "Normal bullets wouldn't have had that severe an effect on me. And whoever shot me, knew exactly where to shoot to cause more pain that do any lasting harm." The wound still stung and if I wasn't careful enough, might reopen if I put strain on it, but the Nurse had helped, although not as much as I'd hoped she would. The amount of life-force a human had was directly proportional to how much time that person had left on this Earth. Some had smaller lifespan as compared to others and the Nurse didn't have that much time left, a few years at most. I didn't want to steal anymore than was necessary for me to seal the wound.

Acelin's face suddenly turned from anger to amusement, the red receding from his iris to leave it a clear, topaz gold. "And I can see that the Nurse has done wonders to you."

"Sanaya told you? She doesn't seem like the gossiping kind." I raised an eyebrow at Ace.

"On the contrary, she was worried you'd reopen the bullet wound." He took a seat on the couch facing the bed. "But I thought I detected an underline of jealousy. You sure there's nothing going on between the two of you?"

"I think you know better than I do that we don't sleep with the staff. Wasn't that one of the few things the Queen had taught us?" I told him sharply.

Ace sighed and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "Mother taught us a lot more than just that Lance, but thank you for reminding me. Mother has asked that you present yourself at court."

"Why?" This time it was my eyes that had clouded with a flaming red.

"I have no idea." He stood up from his seat and straightened his jacket. "It can't be anything good, if you ask me."

"I figured as much." And I had a very good idea of what might be in stall from me once I reach Court and face my father. "But I will like an audience with her first. Alone."

He nodded his head. "I'll arrange that. I have to go now; I'll contact you as soon as I get her reply."

As Acelin headed out, I turned back towards the window, but not before the assortment of red and pink and white caught my attention. Moving towards my bed, I stood in front of the bedside table and stared at the flowers. I would've guessed Sanaya would bring me roses, after all, I'm always asking her to buy those for my meals. But she brought me these instead. Now that I think about it, Carnations suit her better. I don't know why, but it just did.

But then I lifted my hand to the flowers and touched my fingers to one of the petals of a vibrant red Carnation. Within a few seconds the Carnation wilted in front of my eyes and the vibrant red turned into a dull brick brown color. And I knew that that's exactly what I'd do to Sanaya if I even breathed the same air as her.