DRY THE TEARS

"Ed?" Oswald now lay on his back on the bottom bunk. It was sleep time for the inmates but neither Os or Ed could sleep.

"Hm?" Ed muttered restlessly against his pillow.

"You never told me how you got caught - was it Jim Gordon?"

"Well, yes, actually. He started to grow suspicious of me killing Ms. Kringle . So, I tried to frame him. I killed an officer with a crowbar that had his prints on it. Long story . . . didn't work out, obviously." Edward explained in a bitter voice.

"Oh," Oswald said quietly. "Hey, Ed, remember when we used to sing my mother's lullaby together?"

Edward sat up slowly. "Yes, Oswald, of course I do." Edward smiled to himself.

"Would you . . . mind singing it? To me?" Oswald asked shyly.

Edward climbed down from his bunk and slowly climbed into Oswald's bed. "Of course, Oswald." Edward leaned down, his face close to Oswald's. "I'd do anything for you," The room was dim, but they could still see the small smiles on each others faces. Ed sat back up and laid a hand on Oswald's thigh as he sang him to sleep.

"The fire has gone out, wet from snow above

but nothing will warm me more, than my, than my mother's love.

I light another candle, dry the tears from my face.

Nothing can protect me more than my mother's warm embrace.

The path ahead is dark, so dark I cannot see.

But I will not fear 'cause my mother looks over me."

~

Edward had fallen asleep in the bottom bunk - bed, watching Oswald's chest rise and fall in a rhythmic pattern, next to the shorter man. Oswald was the first to wake, looking over he saw Ed and smiled when he remembered Ed's soft voice lulling him to sleep the night before.

Oswald put a hand to Ed's cheek and felt the soft skin and blushed lightly to himself.

"Oh, Ed. You're so perfect." Oswald sighed.

Edward looked up at Oswald, whose hand flew away from Ed's face as fast as lighting, his light blush turning crimson. "I hardly believe that," Ed smiled at Os and reached for his hand, placing it back on his warm cheek.

Oswald giggled and stared into Edward's soft brown eyes.

They sat there like that for a few moments before hearing the almost deafening sound of the guards yelling, "Mornin' time, up and at 'em!" and their nightsticks being hit against their doors as they swung open.

They both snapped out of their trance and looked out the door. Ed got up, and then Oswald, smiles on both their faces.

They both left their room and made their way to the rec room for breakfast without a word, just smiles.

~

A/N: What do ya'll think? drop some comments, plz! and don't forget to vote and follow :)))