|06| The Tour Bus

The bus is swaying,
My cats are straying
Guitar is playing, Mama's praying
The truth don't matter the past don't matter,
Nothing matters But love

♥♥♥

WE FINISHED OUR MEAL AND walked out into the warm afternoon air. Mrs Santiago locked her hands with Carla's and mine as we walked through the golden city. The sky was a wide spread of deep blue with white punches of misty clouds sweeping through like tiny darts of snowflakes. "Mum. See. It's the tour bus," Carla squealed in delight.

"Yes it is. Come kids, we're going to miss it." Mrs Santiago pulled us along with her. "Wait. I thought you were taking me to school," I cried out in frustration.

"Yes I am. After I give you an exclusive tour around this city,"

"But..."

"I promise you will love it. Now hurry." That was all it took to shut me up as we chased the moving bus. At a point Mrs Santiago had to carry Carla because she was slowing us down. I at the other hand was breathing so heavily that you would have thought I was been chased by a pack of wolves. I hated running which was why I never joined the track team.

The tour wasn't exclusive in anyway since the bus was crammed up with many curious tourists. I wasn't bothered by the sweaty smell which hanged permanent in air but instead focused on the architectural buildings as the bus passed by. I tightly latched my hand unto my backpack, it was the only possession I had on me now. I'd die before I let it go. My eyes glossily looked out the window. The towering ancient styled buildings had their sharp tips grazing the edges of the wild blue yonder.

"What's that?" I asked Mrs Santiago as we neared a particular building.

"Oh that's the house of shells." She answered, while cradling Carla on her lap.

"You mean Casa de las Conchas?" My eyes grew enormous. She nodded, "I can't believe this! I've heard so much about it!" I shrieked, rushed to her side of the bus, and stamped my face on the window. She uncomfortably shifted sideways, making some more space for me. Carla jumped out of her leg and watched the breathtaking beauty with me.

"The house of shells was built in the fifteen century," Mrs Santiago said, assuming her role as our personal tour guide. I noticed a couple of passengers lean in to listen to what she had to say. "The shells there," she pointed out, "symbolizes, the owner was a Knight,"

We ooed and ahhed, "That explains why there are so many of them," An older tourist added. I was right, everyone was listening to Mrs Santiago. She lunched into explaining the entrance portals and how the inner court looked like with its arches mainly supported by square pilasters. We were all dazed by the historic tales she added to the magnificent sightings. I kept a smile perched on my face as her rich accented voice floated in the air. It was only when we neared the Baroque square that she stopped, "This is where the tour ends."

"But we just got to the heart of the city." I heard a loud protest.

"Well, we can continue some other time. I need to get this young lady here, back to school," She glanced my away, "Come on Lisa, let's get you to school. I parked my car, somewhere around this place." She whispered as we walked out of the bus. Carla wounded her arms around her mum's neck. I didn't even realize when she fell asleep during the tour. She was completely cruising in la la land.

"You have a car?" I asked ignorantly.

She chuckled, "Yes I have." We strolled along the beautiful walkway.

"Sorry for the dumb question. I know you are from here and all but I initially thought you were a new arrival when I saw you with Carla this morning,"

"No it's alright I get you. Carla and I only served as escorts to my husband. He had to head back to California,"